Range extender advice

HeTiCu13

Hello.

I live in my RV full time in the Redwoods, CA. The park I am in is in a cell service dead zone; no tower within range. So, the park owners have graciously provided wi-fi for the park via Starlink. This works fine if my PC/tablet/phone is in the front of my trailer with clear view of the Starlink. In the back, where my collection of gaming computers and other gadgets are, there is no signal connection. This is primarily due to other RV's parking between me and the antennae, and I really like living here and don't plan on moving anytime soon.

So my workaround has been to buy a TP-Link Range Extender shown here:
and set it up in the front slideout window, with ethernet cables and switches going to the back.

This has been working well except when someone with a long motor coach or trailer parks right next to me, blocking any view I have of the antennae. Then this particular TP-Link loses connection; not enough signal reception strength to get through the coach/trailer walls.

I have spent considerable time trying to find a "wi-fi range extender with ethernet port" with better reception capabilities and have found several choices, on Amazon and elsewhere. BUT... They all seem to be focused on taking a good incoming signal and re-broadcasting it inside a large house or office or building, to eliminate dead zones and share the incoming signal to many users. Or they require a modem to connect to.

That is the opposite of what I need; my trailer is 36' long and I am using ethernet throughout. I need a device that will pull in a wi-fi signal through barriers and re-distribute the signal via ethernet over a smaller distance.

So my questions are:
1. Does anyone know of a range extender that is designed to work in my particular situation? Pull in a wi-fi signal through significant barriers and re-broadcast via ethernet port?
2. Or, am I limited to MacGyvering some kind of water proof box that I can set outside on a high pole with the extender I have inside, and ethernet cable and USB power cable running down the pole into my slideout window? Or instead of on a pole, place the water-proof box outside on the ground in front of my trailer, near the park driveway, with cables running through protective conduit back to my trailer?

Any helpful ideas or experience or suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

beers

Staff member
A lot of Mikrotik devices can do 'client mode' where it just treats the connection like a WAN leg. You can also do this with enterprise APs which would effectively make a bridge. Perhaps something you can augment with an external yagi/directional antenna you can aim for better coverage, or a cellular antenna/repeater for the top of the RV as well.

Would you feel like getting your own Starlink dish is too expensive?

HeTiCu13

A lot of Mikrotik devices can do 'client mode' where it just treats the connection like a WAN leg. You can also do this with enterprise APs which would effectively make a bridge.

Sorry, I'm tech inclined, but not that much. :) I kinda need it to be plug and play, and obvious in it's functions.

Perhaps something you can augment with an external yagi/directional antenna you can aim for better coverage, or a cellular antenna/repeater for the top of the RV as well.

Well, I looked into a yagi 2 years ago, but could not find a setup of a yagi with associated router. Perhaps tech has changed and you have a suggestion? I only need it to bring the signal from up on a pole down into a router inside my slideout. Turn the incoming wi-fi signal into ethernet connection, and be a router for my LAN as well. Again, kinda need it to be plug and play. :)

Would you feel like getting your own Starlink dish is too expensive?

No, not necessarily. I have recently looked into that: $600 for equipment and $150/mth (prices just went up last week). But... if I can find the right type of wi-fi extender for much less than that, that would definitely be preferable. And at this point, I would prefer running cables out to a waterproof box than spending that kind of money for my own Starlink, when there is a free one just 100 yards away at the other end of the park. :)

beers

Staff member
The first one you listed indicated client mode and would be a better device. None of them are going to be configureless though.

HeTiCu13

The first one you listed indicated client mode and would be a better device. None of them are going to be configureless though.

Okay, maybe I sold myself a bit short before. I have no problem configuring a router. But I don't know what an "enterprise AP" is, or what it means. And what I meant by plug and play is that I wouldn't have to look for adapters to make the cable from the yagi connect to the router inside my trailer. And that the associated router would have a port to receive an external antennae signal, and be compatible with the router. I tried piecing together some components 2 years ago and got lost.

As for the first one being better: It sounds like you are suggesting I mount the device I already have in a homemade waterproof box on top of a pole, and thus create my own external wi-fi extender, than try to use this other unit that is already designed for/like that?

beers

Staff member
Yeah if you just stick it in client mode it will be best. You can also use repeater mode but that also broadcasts the same data back out so it’s less good.

Make sure your box isn’t constructed out of metal otherwise it will act as a faraday cage