rate what i have got so far

dance2disco

ok guys
i am a bit of a newbie with computers so i am gonna post what i am thinking about buying and would love some feedback as to what you guys think.

basically i want to play all the latest games, and download everything. this is what i have got so far:

p4 3.0E GHZ fsb800 cachs 1mb

mainboard ASUS p4s800

RAM 2x512mb DDR

DVD/CD RW dual layered

ATX case

Geforce 6600GT

KB/mouse/

monitor flat 17 inch

HDD 80 GB

Tell me what u think. somebody told me that pentium's are not good for gaing and to go for an AMD 3000/64, but i am really not too good with computers.

cheers

daniel

LittleHoov

yes as a general rule the pentiums are not as well suited for gaming, and you also usually get far more performance for your dollar by going with AMD, and yes you will have to change your board if you decide to go with AMD. the 6600GT is also a very decent card, but if your budget allows, there are better cards out there, even ones that offer more "bang for your buck"

Charlie7940

What is your budget? It's easier to reccommend parts if we know how much you are willing to spend. Also, what Power Supply are you planning on getting? An ATX case is too broad...if you plan on getting a power supply with the case then I would reconsider. Read PSU 101 (http://computerforum.com/showthread.php?t=10764) for more info on what makes a good PSU.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
mainboard ASUS P4s800
try to avoid the "s" series if possible, have a look at the P4p800 lineup :)

sorry "not good for gaming" also, if i go for an AMD am i going to have to change my motherboard?
AMD setups tend to be better off for gaming and yess you will have to switch

@dance2disco
have a look at the links at the top of QUESTIONS 101.