Re-Format me drive!

Fure6

It all started when i up-graded to 512 MB of RAM. i put in the ram and the computer computer didn't want to start at all. It started up but went to the XP log-on screen with no names on it. So i restarted the computer with the old RAM in der' and it didn't work again...so i just re-formated the computer to Windows Me OS. I have an XP professional operating system softwere but it was burnt from a friend and i can't update anything becuase of the fact it was burnt.

The reason for this thread:
Before i re-formatted the drive i had like 9.(somthing) GB and now it only reads 1.99 GB! I know i had more than 1.99GB becuase i deleted all my music off the drive and i remember having more than 2GB free.

If i re-format the hard drive, could it format it weird?

nomav6

when it had XP on it you probably had it set to NTFS and now with ME its probably back to FAT32 and that might have caused a problem, but Im not for sure, could be worth looking into though.
I hope that helps.

Fure6

yea, that makes sense! i never thought of that...well i thought about changing it to NTFS could have changed the space to more. well, i'll put on the XP operating system so it's normal kind of. do you guys think i should go back to xp or stay with Me? With xp i can't update anything becuase the CD code thing was already registered with the guy i got the disc from. WHAT SHOULD I DO?!?

UrbanDragon

My suggestion is to get a legal copy of xp... as painful as it sounds.

How many partitions did you have on your hdd? it sounds like the 1.99GB would be used as the O/S partition. and the rest of the space is on a second partition. If you still have problems with the space issue post back... as far as going to winME i would stay away from that o/s. I would go back to 98se before I would go to winME. But of course as an alternative you could use a linux distribution... :)

Fure6

yea, that's is what i was thinking...getting a legal copy. It DOES sound painful! for XP professional it was $299 i think for XP proffessional, what i have as an illegal copy of. There is NO REASON why it should be over $100 for an o/s. i can understand the regular XP for $99, but the full version is $199, then $299 for profesional. What a rip off!