Reboots after turning on

novicegeek

My wife has an Asus ROG laptop that has recently developed a problem of rebooting about one minute after it boots up. I attempted to go into BIOS, because I was going to change the boot sequence to test the memory with a program on USB; however, I never got that far. Actually, I didn't go to the boot sequence at first. I started by going to the command prompt in BIOS, typing in sfc /scannow, and before I had a chance to press enter, it went to black, and then started rebooting.

Is there a way I can get this thing to stop rebooting long enough to diagnosis what is going on? Any ideas of what is going on with it? This was after it had been sitting for a while.

Further note, it may be heat related, as I had just discovered that it will usually stay on, except when my wife is trying to do something (like an internet search or working in an Excel document. It does get quite warm on the bottom of the laptop, as does the box on the power cord.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Try to boot into safe mode and find what the temps are, there's a few programs available for temp monitoring
I would also advise (while laptop is off) spraying the vents with canned air to clear any dust that's accumulated
Are the fans running? If the laptop is getting toasty then the fans should be ramping up to help manage the heat
I agree this may be a heat issue, as other hardware failures such as memory or disc drives would usually at least blue screen as opposed to just restarting
Almost sounds like a classic overheating problem
Then again it's possible automatic restart is enabled and the bluescreen doesnt stay on long enough to get noticed
There's a guide here to disable automatic restart, just to be sure there's no blue screen whenever it restarts
If you see one pop up next time it happens, that will provide more information

beers

Staff member
Does it do the same thing on a linux live CD? That would isolate hardware from software. You should also be able to see temperatures and stuff in the BIOS, if it hasn't been dusted out in a while I'd do that.

I found an issue with mine where Armourycrate forced the fan profiles lower than they should have been from one of the updates (like 40% max fan duty) and it was throttling on some workloads, could be worth checking out the thermals on that.