rebuilding computer-need help!!!

frown888

My friend recently gave me his old slim-case computer. It had XP pro on it, but he decided to take the hard drives and the ram out, so all that is in the case at the moment is the PSU, motherboard, CPU+fan, and cd drive. I have a few spare HDD's around and have decided to use one of them for this computer. I plug it in, set the jumpers, and turn the computer on. It turns on(fans spinning, etc), but nothing comes up on the screen. I have also tried plugging in a keyboard to choose what it boots off, but it doesn't register the keyboard. In order to get it working, install an operating system, and boot it off the hard drive, do i have to get ram? I might sound like a 'noob', but im not that familiar with computers. If i install ram, set it to boot off the HDD and install an O/S, will it run normally like it used to? Also, what is the minimum amount of ram that i could have to run it. Will this atleast show something up on the screen instead of nothing at all(even the monitor doesn't pick it up-stays in sleep mode). If you guys could please tell me what to do it would be GREATLY appreciated, as i really want to get this running. It has onboard graphics, and i only want it for a home/office pc, not a gaming one.

Thanks

deanj20

In order to get it working, install an operating system, and boot it off the hard drive, do i have to get ram?

Yes. A computer will not even boot up with 0 RAM installed. :D

frown888

ok :)

Sooo...
im currently looking at getting a 1GB stick of DDR RAM. This is the type my MB takes. Basically all im asking is, once i install the ram, plug in the HDD, and insert the windows disk, something will display on the screen? Also, the HDD's i have are out of another disused computer so i dont know if they're blank. Would i still be able to install windows on it, then go in after and delete the files + folders i dont need?

Thanks so much for your help!