recover data from deleted user accounts

dansilva

if an XP user deleted some of his/her user accounts (lets say there were 4 accounts i.e. User 1, User 2, Guest and Admin) assuming all the accounts were deleted except for Admin, how is it possible to recover the data that were in deleted user accounts?

UndeadInsanity

I'm quite confident that this isn't possible.

Once the accounts are deleted, all files associated with that account are also removed.

fachim

some possibility,

please check wether you just delete the account of those user not include the files related to this. I mean documents, desktop and settings.
if the deleted account still not emptying the recycle bin yet, you still have it on their recycle bin folder.

Scrat

Go to "C:\Documents and Settings" and see if the deleted account folders are still listed there. If they are, try openning them.
If they are listed there but you are locked out of them, try creating those use accounts again using the exact same user names & passwords as before.

If you cant see the the old user account directories in there, then you could try using a file recovery program, to recover the directory that was deleted when the account was.

Byteman

Malware Destroyer
if they are gone, you could try using a program like restoration . That's what I use, it lets you copy anything that was deleted that hasn't fully been overwritten yet.

narafa

If your system restore is open, you can restore your system to a point before the deletion of the user, retreive the data and then do whatever you want.

If your system restore is shut off, then the only way is using a restoration program as Byteman suggested. I recommend a program called "Recover4All", but make sure you get the version which is compatible with Win XP.

Byteman

Malware Destroyer
System restore will not give you back your user files from the accounts, see the description below (from MS) on what type of files System Restore monitors... :)

System Restore monitors only a core set of specified system and application file types (e.g. .exe, .dll etc), archiving the states of these files before system changes are made. System Restore does not monitor any user/personal data files.

narafa

Byteman said:
System restore will not give you back your user files from the accounts, see the description below (from MS) on what type of files System Restore monitors... :)

I didn't know this tip before Byteman. I thought that the system restore is a complete state restore back in history.

Well, although I don't like system restore and never used it as I hate messing up with the system specially automatic messing :D the only solution left is the restoration.

Byteman

Malware Destroyer
doing a bit more research, this is what microsoft says System Restore restores or doesn't restore. (interesting, I didn't know it until now... :eek: )

Restored:
•Registry
•Profiles (local only; roaming user profiles are not affected by restore)
•COM+ DB
•WFP.dll cache
•WMI DB
•IIS Metabase
•File types monitored by System Restore as specified in the SDK document Monitored File Extensions

Not restored:
•DRM settings
•Passwords in the SAM hive
•WPA settings (Windows authentication information is not restored)
•Specific directories/files listed in the Monitored File Extensions list in the System Restore section of the Platform SDK e.g. 'My Documents' folder
•Any file types not monitored by System Restore (.doc, .jpg, etc.)
•Items listed in both Filesnottobackup and KeysnottoRestore (hklm->system->controlset001->control->backuprestore->filesnottobackup and keysnottorestore) in the registry
•User-created data stored in the user profile
•Contents of redirected folders

narafa

If this is what the system restore does, it is a disaster relying on it. I hated it from the beginning and never tried to rely on it.

Shame on Microsoft :D

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, System Restore is the biggest hit and miss program ever. There are times when it works as advertised but more often than not if you are restoring you'll want your windows install disc handy.

narafa

I have heard a lot of good comments about Norton Ghost backup and restore. I think that's the real restoration program which can be used and relyed upon, not the silly MS system restore.

I personally like the old fashioned manual method of backing up all my data manually and burning them on CDs before making any major system changes, and yes I like re-installing windows when things really go wrong, the PC needs a refresh every now and then :D