Reformatted friends PC and no sound

saulat_99

Fixed a friends computer about 2 weeks ago and he called me today saying the sound isn't working. It is like a celeron and older parts. He has a max 512 ddr ram installed and not even sure what else. When I updated his XP it was a pirate version and failed authentication with service pack 3. I installed a legit windows xp for him and thought I was all done after replacing the information I backed up for him. I had my friend go through to device manager and there were legacy drivers listed and some other things he said under sound, no yellow question marks by them. I had him run windows update and still no luck. He tried both the front and back ports of the computer and a different set of speakers.

Can anyone offer any suggestions? Maybe a free program to tell him what drivers he needs? Would the drivers be on my windows disc, I didn't think it had drivers on it. His computer is a cheap custom build he bought from someone.

jasonn20

I would get the name and part number off the MB and go to the manufacture's website for drivers.

You sure the sound is not turned all the way down or even muted?

saulat_99

From what I could tell from walking him through stuff on the phone the sound was not even showing up in the tray. The option I think was grayed out also so you couldn't put the sound icon in the tray. I may run over there today so I can look at it.

Last edited:

Zatharus

VIP Member
Yes, you do need to install the drivers for the sound chipset. You may also need to make sure that the on-board audio is turned on in the BIOS.