Reformatted the hard drive in my Seagate Central. Still doesn't work. Do I need to install firmware/OS on the hard drive?

iKokomo

I had an issue with my Seagate Central 2TB in which the light was stuck flashing green. So, I opened the enclosure, removed the drive, and re-formatted the hard drive (it was corrupted when I plugged it in). It is now formatted FAT32.

*Edit - The drive works as it should when not in the enclosure.

The green light does not flash anymore but is stuck on a solid orange light. However, it is still not recognized.
Is there a Seagate Firmware File or an Operating System that I need to install on the hard drive so it will be recognized by the Seagate Central enclosure?

*Edit - maybe it needs to be formatted into a different filesystem?

Last edited:

iKokomo

Sounds like the drive may be toast. Here is what the led lights mean.

Here is info on how to update firmare.

I did update my original post. "The drive works as it should when not in the enclosure."

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Then the enclosure that is bad or more likely the connection in the enclosure.

beers

Staff member
I think the drive had a pretty specific file system and partitioning scheme and needed the software image loaded on it, it doesn't seem to be supported by the vendor as 'user replaceable'.

There's some instructions here but YMMV? The drive probably failed at a pretty specific part and that is why it hung, I'd dump the SMART table and run some long tests on it with SeaTools or something while it's in your PC, it probably fails after a certain capacity portion of the drive.

I had a drive like that before, if you receive errors on the test the situation will only deteriorate more over time even if you partition around it.