reinstalation disks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cooldude3552000

I am building a computer and I have one problem, I want to use windows XP but can't afford to buy it but I don't want to build a nice computer but just use win 98 (I have a disk for that). I wanted to know if I could use the XP reinstalation disk that came with my moms dell?

Also my mom bought a copy of microsoft office (only 19 bucks new through my dads company!) and I wanted to know if there is a way to instal it on my computer also? Another thing is I looked on the back of the box and it said I need a pentium 3 processor with 233mhz, I am using an AMD processor, does that matter? I though a processor had nothing to do with what kind of programs you could run as long as it was fast enough.

Thanks,
Colin

SFR

Truth fears no questions
cooldude3552000 said:
I am building a computer and I have one problem, I want to use windows XP but can't afford to buy it but I don't want to build a nice computer but just use win 98 (I have a disk for that). I wanted to know if I could use the XP reinstalation disk that came with my moms dell?
First of all that is illegal. Second of all Microsoft took care of that:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/evaluation/features/activation.mspx

cooldude3552000 said:
Also my mom bought a copy of microsoft office (only 19 bucks new through my dads company!) and I wanted to know if there is a way to instal it on my computer also? Another thing is I looked on the back of the box and it said I need a pentium 3 processor with 233mhz, I am using an AMD processor, does that matter? I though a processor had nothing to do with what kind of programs you could run as long as it was fast enough.

Thanks,
Colin
Third of all that is illegal. Fourth of all Microsoft took care of that (if you have Office 2003):

http://www.microsoft.com/office/editions/prodinfo/activation.mspx

Verrona

No it doesn't matter about the processor. U can only install office Legally on ur PC if the licence is for more than one user (well u can but it wud be naughty :D), U can however purchase another licence for office, which would range between from £60-£90.

and finally no u cant use the XP installation disk from ur mum's dell machine.

Click here to do the honest thing.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
you need to activate windows or it stops working so unless you like formatting and reinstalling every 30 days just buy it, if you get a HD you can get an OEM version for a fraction of the price

BlaBli

who gives a flying F about what is legal?
i bet u all dl mp3 and movies from the internet, and now u all concern about legal?
pfffffffffffffffffffffff

BlaBli

<edit :we have a legal responsibility not to allow posting of this kind of information, please read the forum rules, if you chose to ignore the rules again, your account will be banned>

Last edited by a moderator:

SFR

Truth fears no questions
BlaBli said:
who gives a flying F about what is legal?
i bet u all dl mp3 and movies from the internet, and now u all concern about legal?
pfffffffffffffffffffffff

First of all, read the forum rules. Second, Microsoft cares... ...so does every business (the legal ones).

About dl'ing music illegally: I work 5 days away, I make money, I spend money. That is how it works... no freebees... In addition, I have spent a lot of money on music from Amazon, I think musicians (and athletes) make too much money, but that doesn’t mean I sneak into a stadium or steal music off the net.

Verrona

cooldude3552000 said:
Because it won't work or because it's illeagal?

Both of them, u have 2 buy a licence. And for BlaBli,

who gives a flying F about what is legal? i bet u all dl mp3 and movies from the internet, and now u all concern about legal?
pfffffffffffffffffffffff

Well like SFR said, if u r going 2 post things like that then dont b suprised if u get kicked out! Read the Forum RULES!!!

Second, Microsoft cares... ...so does every business (the legal ones).

I believe Microsoft get wayyyyyy to much money, but i also believe that u shud do things legally so u dont one heavy fine and a criminal conviction!!

SFR

Truth fears no questions
Verrona said:
I believe Microsoft get wayyyyyy to much money, but i also believe that u shud do things legally so u dont one heavy fine and a criminal conviction!!

A good case in point:

My uncle (software engineer) was hired by a company many years ago that had nothing but illegal software... Name a Microsoft product, they had it illegally... he quit after a week and ...to make a short story, shorter: Microsoft shut down the company and the owners are probably still paying fines.

Microsoft says they lost around $2 billion last year or something like that... while we look at Microsoft and can easily say them make tooooooooooooooooo * 10^100000 much money, it does not give us the right to steal from them. (Even though they stole from XEROX ..etc...) But I agree with you Verrona... you dont want to by caught stealing ANYTHING... let alone a Microsoft product!

Verrona

Well let the boy get a criminal conviction, it's no skin off my nose. I am just telling (no advising) not 2.

SFR

Truth fears no questions
Either way this thread will be closed and his post will be :

"REMOVED FOR STUPIDITY"

edit:

since this thread and topic is pointless... Verrona.. Do you like Fedora Core 3? I have Core 2... havent had a chance to DL Core 3 yet...

Status
Not open for further replies.