Reliable storage media!! nothing lasts :(

H_L

I know this has probably been asked a million times BUT I have done heaps of research and still haven't come up with some what of an answer.... the more you look the more confusing!!

M.2.
SSD
HDD
usb stick
I need a storage device that is the most reliable to store data for years and years!!! won't be plugged in much.
I don't care on the physical size or transfer rate ALL I care about is preserving the data as long as possible without copying it all the time.
If anyone can shed some light or give me some links that would be greatly appreciated :)

Darren

Staff member
If you're talking for more cold long term storage purposes than active usages, multiple backups in several physically different places.

NAS in RAID is a good idea too, if you're trying to access it more than rarely.

geek 0001

Try M-Disk. They claim they can store data for thousands of years. Most new Blu-ray burners support it, and they should have it in the logo on the front.

h3donyst

I know this has probably been asked a million times BUT I have done heaps of research and still haven't come up with some what of an answer.... the more you look the more confusing!!

M.2.
SSD
HDD
usb stick
I need a storage device that is the most reliable to store data for years and years!!! won't be plugged in much.
I don't care on the physical size or transfer rate ALL I care about is preserving the data as long as possible without copying it all the time.
If anyone can shed some light or give me some links that would be greatly appreciated :)
I've been using WD Red NAS Hard Drive for a while now for media storage, I believe most of the disks if not used often can last a long time.
I would go for a mechanical HDD for physical storage, just store it properly or cloud storage also a good option if money is not an issue, google drive, backblaze or something similar. Cloud will never degrade over time.
USBs have known to fail on me for no apparent reason.