Remote desktop connection won't allow multiple users simultaneously

gib65

Member
I'm trying to setup a computer so that multiple users can log onto it remotely at the same time. I managed to get the remote logon part to work, but not the at the same time part. If one user is logged on, and another user tries to log on, that second user gets the message that someone else is already logged and so no one else can log on.

But there must be a way to have multiple users logged on simultaneously. How?

All users are on XP machines and using Remote Desktop Connection.
 
Correct me if you are wrong but it sounds like what you are looking to do is install the server as a "Terminal Services" or in Server 2008 "Remote Desktop Services".

Windows XP by default doesn't allow you to have multiple simultaneous RDP sessions. I believe the Media Center addition will allow you to. You either need to install the Media Center version of XP or a Windows Server and add Remote Desktop/Terminal Services as a role.






More Info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_Desktop_Services
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731263(WS.10).aspx
 
MS remote desktop sucks, it is probably the worst remote controlling system out there, period. Search for VNC server, and vnc viewer since they can allow multiple connections, and are free and open source
 
MS remote desktop sucks, it is probably the worst remote controlling system out there, period. Search for VNC server, and vnc viewer since they can allow multiple connections, and are free and open source

If you are going to go this route I would suggest you also set up a SSH server and tunnel the traffic. VNC sends user names and passwords in clear text...;)
 
If you are going to go this route I would suggest you also set up a SSH server and tunnel the traffic. VNC sends user names and passwords in clear text...;)

Only the free versions do that, the pay for versions (which are like $20) use encrypted passwords
 
I can't think of a way for the OP to do it legally without forking out more money.

Use putty.exe to create ssh tunnels between client hosts. Then tunnel VNC over it to get encryption.

You can aslo look at the free version of logmein.com which is all over port 443 with SSL so it is also encrypted. However, I am not sure if it allows for multiple connections.

VNC viewer, allows for multiple viewers but does not allow control, it is simply a tool to view someone's desktop. Like if someone were giving a hands on lesson and you got to watch their desktop.

However, considering the cost of the pay for versions of VNC are very cheap, I would hardly call that a deal breaker. I mean what is a license? $20?
 
Back
Top