Repairing XP Pro

Benjidrummer

Hello all,

when i boot my computer up with the XP Pro installation disk i chose the option of repairing windows, but its asks for an administrator password, but i have never created or used an administrator password, and it wont let me repair windows until i enter it

can anyone help

Thanks
Benjiudrummer

Benjidrummer

hello,
i did what you said and just pressed enter where it asked for an administrator passed, but then it just goes to somthing like this

C:\windows\

and it lets me type!

What do i do now?

Benjidrummer

On boot up, it offers the options of installing windows, somthing else and then repairing windows, so i press r to repair it, then it asks what part i want to repair, but it only offers one option and that is

1: c:\windows (somthing like that anyway)

so i press 1 and then enter

then it asks for the admin password

Classic_house

Read this ..... http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321305

Note If you have not created a password reset disk, and you have also forgotten the password for all user accounts, you cannot log on to your existing Windows installation for security reasons. This information applies to starting Windows XP typically, to safe mode, and to Recovery Console. In this case, you must perform a "clean" installation of Windows XP, re-create all user accounts, and then reinstall all your programs..

Classic_house

Anyone with a Windows 2000 CD can boot up a Windows XP box and start the Windows 2000 Recovery Console, a troubleshooting program.
* Windows XP then allows the visitor to operate as Administrator without a password, even if the Administrator account has a strong password.
* The visitor can also operate in any of the other user accounts that may be present on the XP machine, even if those accounts have passwords.
* Unbelievably, the visitor can copy files from the hard disk to a floppy disk or other removable media - something even an Administrator is normally prevented from doing when using the Recovery Console

atomic

goto www.bootdisk.com download a windows 98 bootdisk...unzip it to a floppy disk. Restart your machine with the disk in. Now simply format your hard drive from the command prompt, of course this info is useless if you actually want to keep whats on your hard drive.

Another suggestion is have you tried the simple passwords such as admin, administrator, password etc...Or maybe your own password. I know on my machine there was a password on the admin account but as i had admin privileges it let me continue anyway.

If all this fails im guessing the store wants you to take it in and pay to get it repaired. Sorry if i havnt helped much.

Benjidrummer

hello,

you see the computer was passed down when my grandmother passed away, i have no serial number for xp, but i have a friend with xp, but i cant use his serial because its illegal and i use the computer for the internet, i have nothing with it, just the pc!,

is there a way of reinstalling windows by using the same serial, but without having to type in a serial, (if that makes sense??)

atomic

do a google search for viewkeyxp ...download and run that software (its only small), this will display your serial key.

Benjidrummer

Yeah, i did that magic jelly bean thing, but the serial it gave me didn't work on the installation cd that i got from my friend, you see im not completely sure what windows is installed, because on the desktop and stuff it says windows xp pro, but in some other places it just says windows!!

is there different serial codes for XP Pro and XP Home?

and does each installation cd only work with a certain code, or does any cd work with any code?