Replacement APC UPS

Laquer Head

After a crazy ice storm and many on/off cycles with the local power, I think my trusty APC Back-UPS ES 500 is finally toast and the battery is done.

I figure it is about 6-7 years old now and I just think its time to upgrade.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Also, what is the realistic wattage I need for 2 computers and a few other components like router, modem, NAS drive bay.?

I've had good success with APC but I'm open to other makes.

beers

Staff member
I figure it is about 6-7 years old now

Dang, that's a lot longer than average.

What kind of budget are you looking for? On a lot of units you can buy replacement batteries for a significantly less than an entirely new unit.

Laquer Head

Dang, that's a lot longer than average.

What kind of budget are you looking for? On a lot of units you can buy replacement batteries for a significantly less than an entirely new unit.

Budget is flexible, as its for me.. so I don't like to restrict myself. Also this is a justifiable purchase!

I have seen replacement batteries for $40 but I'm still leaning towards new first..then maybe a battery replace for this one!

beers

Staff member
Most line-interactive units are pretty similar. Does your current unit give you a readout of current load so you can gauge what you're pulling currently?

I have one of the Cyberpower 1500VA 900w true sine units, no complains powering a couple of servers, switches and routers. (approx 350-400w most days), but haven't had any extended outages in the last 3 years or so that would drain it completely.
http://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-CP1500PFCLCD-Sinewave-Compatible-Mini-Tower/dp/B00429N19W

beers

Staff member
No, this one is totally basic..no read out..nothing!
It DOES have a USB interface /cough ;)

I think there is some 'PowerChute' software you can use to see specs on it. I have a couple ES-500 in my home theatre set up but one of them shat itself recently and just beeps.