Replacing Motherboard

stixcom92

I know that this is kind of a noob question, but my current comp is a custom machine I got from someone (not the builder), currently has 2 hard drives, 2 gigs of ram, cd burner, dvd drive, NVIDIA 5600, and firewire card. It currently has an intel motherboard with a pentium 4 on it, and i really don't want to have to get a new machine. If I replace the motherboard with say, an asus, would all my data be saved, and it would function with the computer? Thanks.

dznutz

your data is saved on the hard drive. so unless you install a new operating system on the partition where you data is stored then it should be safe. since you have 2 hard drives you can back up your data to a hard drive where the OS won't be installed to. if you want to save your bookmarks/passwords on firefox then check out the extention called FEBE.

if you're lucky all you need to do is "repair" your OS. but brace for the worst and back up your stuff incase you need to reformat.

OvenMaster

VIP Member
The closer your new motherboard is to the old one, the better your chances of success. But if your old one has an Intel processor with an Intel chipset, and your new one would be, say, an AMD processor with an Nforce or even VIA chipset, you may not even be able to boot up.