residual security tool broswer redirection

MJovar

so here's the story:

yesterday, i open up my computer and Security Tool, the bastard, pops up. i figure it's a virus, and somehow i'm able to shut it down without it affecting my options for opening up security programs, firefox, and such. i run the most up to date malwarebytes anti-malware and it does remove a bunch of nasty sounding infections. in the log i saw things like rogue.security tool, etc. so i figure miraculously malwarebytes took care of it completely. for the most part it has, but now i am still getting browser redirection. also, the light blue background that wiped my desktop is still there, the desktop pic i had never came back, but all the icons are there. really, the only problem i've noticed with my computer is browser redirecting.

i'm getting it in firefox and safari. i don't even bleep with IE. here's everything i did:

full virus scan on my free avast av- nothing, still redirects
updated the hell out of malwarebytes, full scan- nothing
spyware doctor- ran it a few times, fixed the problems, otherwise nothing
windows malware program- nothing
ran combo-fix, using the popular method- still didn't fix the browser redirection
ran SFC /scannow- still redirecting
updated to firefox 3.5 ( but remember it still gets to safari also)

basically, all the scanners that i'm using are saying that the computer is clean, yet the browser redirecting continues. the nature of the redirecting is similar to what i've read about from other posts with people suffering this virus- definitely happens on keywords like "security" and "virus," but it will alot of times redirect on links in google and yahoo not related to malware/securitytool/etc. if i manually enter a website, it won't redirect.

i can't think of anything else to do short of reformatting, but that seems so drastic for a minor problem. apparently i haven't created any restore points (good job), because i'm not until now, reading all these forums, very good with computers. for all intents and purposes, security tool is gone, but the component that redirects the browser is not.

does anyone have ideas on what to do, or do i need to take this sucker into the repair shop? also, with this type of situation, a browser redirection virus, with the previous known associated viruses that malwarebytes supposedly deleted, should i do password sensitive things like email, bank stuff? are there more possible backdoor and what have you trojans?