WIndows 10 Restore PC to reset point or better factory reset?

ChrisN

Hello, I hope this question fits here. I have a Dell Inspiron 3670 (bought on their website). In the past 3 months I experienced about 4 times that the pc did not boot and the power button showed blinking amber light (I did not count the blinking). After unplugging the power and plugging it back in, all worked well. I called the Dell support team and they had me update windows and Dell, incl BIOS. After that sound output was missing and sound card misconfigured. Since I am not tech savvy, I allowed 4 Dell tech people over two days to remotely access my pc to try to fix the problem. There was a lot of uninstalling/installing and other attempts and finally the sound was back on. The next day morning the amber light happened again. I then unplugged all things from the pc, dusted all, and the pc is now plugged into another outlet. For the past 4 days all worked well, but then the amber light came on rarely prior to all the work done, so it might take a while again before that happens (if it happens again). Because of all the changes/installing/uninstalling by the remote access tech support, it was wondering about to reset the pc. A tech savvy person recommended a factory reset. I watched several youtube videos, but definitely want to start with the easiest approach as I am not tech savvy and currently the pc is running well. Should the amber light comes on again, I now know to count it and might simply send in the pc as it is still under warranty. But maybe new outlet and dusting makes a difference, so currently mostly worried about all the remote work done on my pc.

1. Would it be enough to defragment and clean up a few things like temp files?
2. In recovery I see a reset point just a couple of days prior to when all that work was done. Maybe worth trying a reset there first?
3. If not "reset to reset point", will it be better to do factory reset "keeping my files" or "remove everything"?

Thank you, Chris

beers

Staff member
Probably more of a hardware issue than a software one, if it's not turning on from standby power (the usual 'off' state) then that's outside of your OS.