Restoring Boot files

Asty

Win XP won't start. I am advised that the hard drive's boot files have been damaged or deleted. The drives (2x80Gb in RAID) seem to be OK. How do I go about restoring my Boot files?
Thanks
Asty

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Easiest thing to do is just run the XP System disk and let it try and repair your drive(s) If it is just some boot files, that should fix it no prob.

Asty

I can't run the system disk, I can't get past the Windows Logo, I can't get into safe mode, and the repair console doesn't work. I have tried Hard Drive Mechanic and it seems to think my HD's are OK. I get a good Directory of files in C: from the command prompt. From reading articles and comparing my indications I came to the conclusion that restoring my boot sector should solve the problem but I don't know how to do it.
Asty

Asty

Well it's a long story!
Firstly on a normal boot XP goes as far as the XP Logo then re-boots and keeps doing this.
Starting using the XP CD I get just past the accepting licence page I then try the repair console FIXBOOT "cannot find the system drive or the drive specified is not valid" FIXMBR has no apparent effect.
If I go for a set up instead of recovery console I get the following:
to set up XP press enter
to create a partition in the unpartitioned space press C
to delete the selected partition press D
and below this there are 4 "unkown disks"
if I try to scroll up I get a very long message which tells me there is a problem and windows has been shut down, this is followed by a lot of technical info.
So I tried HD Mechanic which indicates my disks are OK but apparently it doesn't claim to do raid.
I have tried disconnecting one drive at a time, it doesn't see any disk in each case.

ripken2004

sounds like one of ur disks are dead, if its saying that its unpartitioned then maybe one drive died so there is only one working now and since the raid wont be working anymore then its trying to use the good disk but it hasnt been formatted yet. so i guess that u will have to just make a new part.

Asty

I tried to create a partition with the following result:
Create Partition List:
Disk1
Part: FAT32(c) Flags: Pri Active Capacity: 153.4 Free: 131.9 Type: FAT32(LBA)
I selected NEXT:
Processing...Analysing Partition C
Unable-Not enough free space