retreiving my "lost" diskspace

sh33p1985

got my 200gb serial ata hd today, had a few hitches getting it goin (nostly due to my dodgy usb keboard which wouldnt let me get into windows setup) the first time i did it recognized the disk and showed 200gb of unpartitioned space, but as i was waiting for my xp pro cd to arrive (was using xp home to check if it worked ok) i didnt install windows, i came back later and got into setup after some more problems with the keyboard, to find that i now had a partition that had been created (???) and well i removed the partion to make a new one and it wouldnt let me make one bigger than 130gb! im formatting and installing windows now, is there a way to get my 70gb back? help

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
In XP the maximum partition size is 127.5 GB practical and 2TB theoretical. So make a secondary partition too on that disk.

sh33p1985

it wont let me, otherwise id do that, it says tha unpartitioned space is 130gb and after thats created theres no unallocated space (the other 70gb) but if i auto detect the hd in bios it shows capacipy as 200gb

sh33p1985

hah
ur right, its capped! i tried windows setup wiht my home cd and its 200gb again, ideally i want to use pro tho:|

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
How is it "capped"? (and what do you mean by that). Fire up the XP installation, start killing partitions and remaking them :)

sh33p1985

dont u think ive tried that?not stupid!:)cant get more than 130gb tried everything even partition magic that ownt work either

Vastert

Same problem

I think I have the same problem. After some trouble with XP I noticed that my 2nd partition on my 200Gig drive was not well. I lost 70Gig. The 1st partition is 30Gig en the 2nd should be 170Gig. After formatting, the drive had only 100Gig of freespace. At last I tried to rebuild the partition. 1st removed the 170Gig partition....after that I could only make a 100Gig partition, where did the last 70Gig go???