router vs switch

wicked

witch is better to run eithernet switch vs a router what would better to run about 5 -6 computers at one time and what faster :rolleyes:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Like I said before, you definately need one router and then put a switch behind the router.

wicked

ok cool thanks johnb35 im lagging real bad and wanted to see if that was it ill do is that way

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Lagging with 10 pc's on it, thats normal. If you are on a low speed dsl/cable plan that will lag you too with that many pc's.

Geoff

VIP Member
For a lan party you just need a switch... Routers n the like are for internet.
You need a router to give out IP addresses if you don't have a DHCP server running, or unless everyone wants to enter in their network address manually.

wicked

cool i bought a bigger switch that has 15 slots from a used electronics company for 5 dollars and bought a really nice router for 10 and a better modem other this crap the cable comp. gave me i used to have 4 routers hoked up and it lag like crazy but the first time i had a switch i just had a modem and couldnt under it at all.thank you
You need a router to give out IP addresses if you don't have a DHCP server running, or unless everyone wants to enter in their network address manually.

Stildawn

Hmmm I dont know, Ive had lots of Lan parties with just a switch..

Entering your own IP is easy just change the last digit to 2-1billion lol.

wicked

i dont know but 120 bucks later its working great now that ive got a better switch and a really good router and modem

I think that a router is much better than a switch since by using router you can let your system internet connection to be used by any device which can catch your router by wifi or by something else.
138l1243.jpg

Geoff

VIP Member
I think that a router is much better than a switch since by using router you can let your system internet connection to be used by any device which can catch your router by wifi or by something else.
That's not what he is talking about, and besides, there is no point in having multiple routers for his needs.

wicked

its all up and running really good now. im thankful i dont do networking or ide be in a lot of trouble. thanks guys for the help.

Quiltface

I think people reading this for their own benefit should gather from this that a router and a switch are completely different things used for different things.... a router ROUTES traffic from 1 network to another.... a switch connects computers or nodes together on a network.... if you are having a lan party and not accessing the internet you will just need a switch since you are not leaving your network.

Some cheaper routers you buy at like best buy or whatever have a switch built into them usually.... so to call it just a router isnt right... it would really be a router with a 5 port switch built in. That is confusing to joe consumer so they just call it a router for arguments sake.

So in short for an average home use you probably wouldnt need more than one of those router/switch combos.... but if you are going to be hosting a lan party on top of that you might want to buy a stand alone switch and uplink it to your router/switch.

I think a better argument would be Hub vs Switch, since they both accomplish the same thing but go about doing it differently.

I hope that wasn't confusing.

Last edited:

ashgray2

Using Router in many computer to share an internet connection is much better rather that a simple switch. Because in Router it can control the traffic. But in some cases using a switch with a routing software can also control the traffic. But it's up to you what will you're going to use.