RTX 2080 - MSI or EVGA?

gillmanjr

Question guys, would you go with this MSI (on sale for $720) or with this EVGA for 70 bucks more? The only significant difference I see in the specs is the boost clocks...1710 MHz on the MSI vs 1800 MHz on the EVGA. Is that worth paying the extra $70? Also, the EVGA black edition 2080 has the same 1710 MHz boost clock and is actually $20 cheaper than the MSI.

Based on manufacturer merits only...would you choose MSI or EVGA?

Also, if you recommend another manuf over those two, please let me know. I saw a triple fan Gigabyte 2080 card for sale on Amazon for $699.

I currently own an MSI card (Radeon R9 390) and I think the build quality is excellent. However, the card runs extremely hot. Its been more than a decade since I've owned an EVGA product.

Darren

Staff member
You won't go wrong with either really. I'd personally opt EVGA as they're notorious for amazing customer support. My first 1080 died randomly and they sent me a second new in box one no questions asked.

The boost clock difference is practically negligible. My 1080 boosts above the supposed boost clock automatically and so do all 1080's from my research. I imagine it's similar. You can always tune out the difference yourself too. Main thing to consider is build quality and warranty really. Again either is good, although at a 70 dollar price difference MSI might make more sense.

gillmanjr

Thanks for the feedback. After I read your response I went back to Newegg and what do you know....there was an additional promotion on the MSi card - another 10% off! I had to do pull the trigger - got the card plus two games (BF V and Anthem) for $647. I know even that price is ludicrous for a GPU but still, its a damn good deal considering the price of RTX 2080.

Now my other thread about G-Sync vs Freesync is answered LOL. Its official...going the G-Sync route. Now I have the painstaking job of waiting for one of the G-Sync ultrawides to go on sale.

Last edited:

Darren

Staff member
Thanks for the feedback. After I read your response I went back to Newegg and what do you know....there was an additional promotion on the MSi card - another 10% off! I had to do pull the trigger - got the card plus two games (BF V and Anthem) for $647. I know even that price is ludicrous for a GPU but still, its a damn good deal considering the price of RTX 2080.

Now my other thread about G-Sync vs Freesync is answered LOL. Its official...going the G-Sync route. Now I have the painstaking job of waiting for one of the G-Sync ultrawides to go on sale.

Ironically Nvidia just announced support on some FreeSync monitors now.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019...elect-freesync-monitors-as-g-sync-compatible/

Not a bad price. I haven't even really looked at them but I spent just a tad under that on my 1080 so I have no room to talk. :D I would have done the same and saved with the MSI one.

gillmanjr

Ironically Nvidia just announced support on some FreeSync monitors now.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019...elect-freesync-monitors-as-g-sync-compatible/

Not a bad price. I haven't even really looked at them but I spent just a tad under that on my 1080 so I have no room to talk. :D I would have done the same and saved with the MSI one.

This is awesome and thanks for bringing it to my attention. Unfortunately I don't think any of those 12 monitors named are ultrawides. But hopefully that changes soon.

gillmanjr

Just saw the stuff about the Radeon VII. Given what I've read and seen so far, which is basically just the keynote intro, I don't regret buying the 2080. I'm betting that most games will perform slightly better on the 2080. The only plus to the Radeon VII is the 16GB of VRAM, but thats not necessary right now anyway.