"run as administrator" problem.

smilax

Ok. Here's the case: I need an .exe file to "run as... administrator" but it gives the error "windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appopriate permissions to access the item" Needless to say, I am logged in as administrator. Because it's a patched file, I turned off my firewall and anti virus just in case, but it didn't work. I also tried to modify the WINDOWS folder security tab and tried to grant every user with max. privileges so that no restrictions would be there. It did not help. tried the same in safe mode. It's the case with only this file. I can access the file in a normal way but not "run as administrator" Help would me much appreciated. Thanks.

tremmor

Ive seen the problem before also. Someone here suggested going to UAC and changing user account settings. Said slide bar down a notch. has to do with restrictions. I have but not really put it to the test. Please report back on the results.
Now im curious.

smilax

Sorry but I didn't mention I have windows XP. I think UAC does not work that way in XP as in Vista?

smilax

thank you for the effort but none of the points work. It's not that "run as..." does not work. it does not work with this file. I just do not know what could be the problem.

EDIT: NO, I tried other .exe files as well in folder that are located in My Documents. And they DO NOT work. Damn.

And edit again: YEEHAW! That's where the point was. moved the file to My Computer/Program Files and work like a charm. Odd.

Last edited:

Matt

Hi,

Just scanning the forum, and this is also a problem I have. However, I won't be able to follow the solution here, as the program (installation and run) is on a broadband dongle. (That is, when you first plug it in it installs the relevant software. After that it runs normally, initially running a program on the dongle.)

Like Smilax, I get a message telling me I don't have the Administative privileges required, despite being logged in as the administator and the only user. 'Run As...' makes no difference. I have used the dongle on other machines with no problem at all. This machine should be more than capable of handling it, so there should not be any speed or power problems.

(Win XP)

Matt
(Newbe)