Running different virtual machines on different monitors from the same PC/Server

urbantricker

New Member
I am trying to achieve the following and have not had much luck in doing so:

I need to have one PC/server, running 4 virtualisations of that PC. So, effectively, there are 4 PCS.

I then want to have 4 monitors each displaying its own virtualised machine.

I can't find anything on Google as I am not really which keywords I should be searching for.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ian
 
Are you using this all at one workstation, or do you want each one to have its own mouse and keyboard as well?
 
Are you using this all at one workstation, or do you want each one to have its own mouse and keyboard as well?

Well each monitor is going to be a touch screen, so they will not require mouse or keyboards, just whichever connections a touch screen monitor has.

Thanks
 
you could achieve this by deploying some kind of thin client that would netboot (PXE Boot) to your server and pull down a virtual image.

I am not sure if you can output 4 VMs from one box into 4 separate video outputs. You would have to have 4 physical video out ports to begin with.
 
this is out of my level, but wouldnt you have to have one main pc, the server, and then for each other station that you want to have accessible, have some sort of client, like a flx machine or something. Flx would have no HDD, as it pulls everything off the network, but would need everything else, i believe?

Not really sure, I'm just trying to throw out an idea that some may be able to run with

edit: this could get pricey...lol budget?
 
Last edited:
Well I don't know the particulars either, but those guys are right...a network boot setup seems to be the way to go here.
 
you could achieve this by deploying some kind of thin client that would netboot (PXE Boot) to your server and pull down a virtual image.

I am not sure if you can output 4 VMs from one box into 4 separate video outputs. You would have to have 4 physical video out ports to begin with.

i don't think the video output would be the problem, you could do it with two video cards with two outputs each, like most people nowadays.

the problem would be the input devices being the touchscreens. when you run VMs they all share the server's kvm. each having their own touchscreens would be more difficult.
 
i don't think the video output would be the problem, you could do it with two video cards with two outputs each, like most people nowadays.

the problem would be the input devices being the touchscreens. when you run VMs they all share the server's kvm. each having their own touchscreens would be more difficult.

Show me on a virtual machine where you can specifically say, output video to this specific video port only. I don't think that kind of support exists. Plus, when you deploy virtual machines these days it is done over netboot (PXE boot) and images are brought down to the thin client.

There is no specific driver support which does this in a virtual machine, because there is no direct access to the drivers in a VM, there is a virtual layer between the VM and the hardware.
 
Back
Top