Russian Virus

Nuwat

So I just encountered a Russian virus that completely changed my language, installed programs, etc. until I was unable to get into my account via incorrect password. No biggie, I had just started on this desktop a day ago. Currently restoring my computer with a windows 10 disc, until I realized a change. Last time I partitioned and convert gpt to install windows 10, it created 3 different drivers which weren't all that much space. Now, there's only 2 other drivers and one of them takes up over 700 gb of my data. What's the cause of this? Is this still the Russian virus working on my computer, or is there something else going on here?

aldan

the "plow and pave" approach is more of a last resort.what security programs are you running,and what did they call this "russian virus"?

Nuwat

xD All I was really doing was installing games from Steam and just chatting on facebook and what not. Nothing serious

I was running windows defender but it didn't notify me at all. I just noticed a russian-languaged toolbar install, then the entire windows 10 changed to russian language, then I was logged out. Upon trying to re-login, my password was no longer working. Really though, my only concern is that 700 gig take off of my hard drive and what the cause of it was.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Use the install cd to delete all existing partitions and set them back up again.

The VCR King

So I just encountered a Russian virus

Ya don't get such viruses from just doing what you said ya know?
vladamir-putin-angry.jpg

Darren

Staff member
Just a side note but I'm guessing your password wasn't working because your keyboard is now in Russian rather than your original language and thus what you're typing is not what's actually being inputted. Wouldn't really expect them to change your Windows password, particularly if it was a Microsoft account.

I'm guessing that the toolbar got installed by mistake and somehow converted your whole OS to Russian. Or you've just got unsavory browsing habits. Either or.