ryzen 2700x new build temp issues

jamesd1981

Hi all, just finished upgrading to a new ryzen 2700x, in the bios temp shows around 40c, but in all system software monitors like speccy, hw monitor etc it shows almost 100c.

is this probably just software incorrect reading, i did have a bit of bother locking cooler in place, but not so much that should have affected the thermal paste.

Any advice much appreciated

UPDATE, downloaded updated cpuid hw monitor and amd ryzen master & both show cpu sitting around 40c

Last edited:

Darren

Staff member
Use HWInfo. By far the most powerful and versatile system monitor and I've had the best luck with it being accurate compared to others. Temp readings on AMD chips has always been kinda weird. They have two CPU readings, one is the CPU's actual physical temperature, usually measured on the socket and is usually called CPU Tctl. The other is basically a fake calculated temperature that doesn't fluctuate as much and is less "accurate", usually just called CPU temperature. Depending on the software they might interpret these differently. AMD does this to smooth out cooling performance so that the constant flux of Tctl doesn't change your fans constantly.

I'd cross reference them with RyzenMaster as the temp it reports is the faked one. It's what is used to control fans by default and also what you would compare to the max temp for the chip. Figure out which is which and use the faked temp. I don't use RyzenMaster at all, but it's a good way to know which temp is which.

I personally don't like running my 1700 above 70oC but I'd say anything under 75-80oC during stress testing is fine. They'll throttle or shut off completely at 95oC. Mine usually is in the lower 60's for CPU focused gaming but will creep into the low 70's during stress testing.

Depending on your motherboard you might be able to control which temperature sensor the board uses to control the fans, my Asrock does.

Edit: @jamesd1981 I'm pretty familiar with the Ryzen platform as I did a lot of overclocking and tweaking when they dropped the first gen of them and before AMD worked out a lot of the bugs. If you have any questions let me know. @beers has a 2700X as well.

Last edited:

jamesd1981

Use HWInfo. By far the most powerful and versatile system monitor and I've had the best luck with it being accurate compared to others. Temp readings on AMD chips has always been kinda weird. They have two CPU readings, one is the CPU's actual physical temperature, usually measured on the socket and is usually called CPU Tctl. The other is basically a fake calculated temperature that doesn't fluctuate as much and is less "accurate", usually just called CPU temperature. Depending on the software they might interpret these differently. AMD does this to smooth out cooling performance so that the constant flux of Tctl doesn't change your fans constantly.

I'd cross reference them with RyzenMaster as the temp it reports is the faked one. It's what is used to control fans by default and also what you would compare to the max temp for the chip. Figure out which is which and use the faked temp. I don't use RyzenMaster at all, but it's a good way to know which temp is which.

I personally don't like running my 1700 above 70oC but I'd say anything under 75-80oC during stress testing is fine. They'll throttle or shut off completely at 95oC. Mine usually is in the lower 60's for CPU focused gaming but will creep into the low 70's during stress testing.

Depending on your motherboard you might be able to control which temperature sensor the board uses to control the fans, my Asrock does.

Thanks Darren do you think 38 to 40 c is a normal idle temp for the 2700x, I'm seeing some people say there's is more like 35c

Only just finished it and it's 10 at night, tomorrow I'll explore more settings and core speeds, perhaps have to try some better thermal paste

Darren

Staff member
Thanks Darren do you think 38 to 40 c is a normal idle temp for the 2700x, I'm seeing some people say there's is more like 35c

Only just finished it and it's 10 at night, tomorrow I'll explore more settings and core speeds, perhaps have to try some better thermal paste

Mines sitting at 38oC right now with a few tabs of Chrome and other light programs. I also have my clock speed and voltage locked somewhat high. What cooler you using? Those idle temps are fine. The faked CPU temp reported at idle isn't super accurate usually, I just ignore it.

jamesd1981

Mines sitting at 38oC right now with a few tabs of Chrome and other light programs. I also have my clock speed and voltage locked somewhat high. What cooler you using? Those idle temps are fine. The faked CPU temp reported at idle isn't super accurate usually, I just ignore it.

At the moment I'm just using the stock prism cooler out the box, running at stock 3.7 with 3000mhz memory, now i have software correctly reading temperature, i will have testing it tonight

Darren

Staff member
At the moment I'm just using the stock prism cooler out the box, running at stock 3.7 with 3000mhz memory, now i have software correctly reading temperature, i will have testing it tonight
I ran the Wraith cooler that came with mine for a little while. Did a surprisingly good job. Might be able to do a mild overclock although I'd probably just leave it on auto since it does a really good job of boosting up as needed.

UnholyVision

I ran the Wraith cooler that came with mine for a little while. Did a surprisingly good job.
I would have to agree, I've got fair gains out of them. The Wraith Cooler is pretty good block for mild overclocking. Well some more than others, depending on the model of Wraith. Though it should be expected, because AMD had Cooler Master design it.

Darren

Staff member
Yeah I was able to run I think 3.7GHz pretty comfortably on the Wraith Spire. Could do 3.8 but was too warm for my tastes. Was about on par with a CM Hyper 212 or other similar entry-mid range level aftermarket coolers.