sata psu

robina_80

if i want to get a motherboard with pci express and sata 2 do i have to get a psu that can do all of those things or any psu will be ok

robina_80

but what about if the PSU doesnt have a sata power cable for the sata hard drive.
like ide hard drives have power cables for the hard drive

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
The type of motherboard is almost irrelvent
Almost is a bit loose of a term ... if you have a 24 pin ATX on the PSU and a 20 pin on the mobo and no adaptor.... then its not much use to ya.

but what about if the PSU doesnt have a sata power cable for the sata hard drive.
Then you can either
a. Buy 4 pin molex to SATA convertors
b. Buy a PSU with SATA connectors
c. Not buy SATA
d. Use the 4 pin molex anyways

[qupte]Apologies. the PSU would also need to carry a sata connector for the hard disk.[/quote]
This is assuming you're dealing with SATA drives that explicitly need the SATA connector :)

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Almost is a bit loose of a term ... if you have a 24 pin ATX on the PSU and a 20 pin on the mobo and no adaptor.... then its not much use to ya.
the 24-20 adapters just remove the 4 wires from the end, at least the ones I've seen do. Although you probably can't plug the 24 into a 20 without the adapter becuase of the thicker plastic on the outer edge of the motherboard connector