Sata to ide conversion

sublmnalcrmnal

I'm very new to computer maintenance, and I'm hoping someone could help me out. I have about a three year old HP Pavilion Slimline TV PC s3120n. It stopped working about a week ago, after asking a few people and searching on the web I'm fairly certain the motherboard is shot. I was recently laid off and can't afford a new PC, but the hard drive and RAM seem to be fine from my Slimline, a friend of mine just gave me an old Pavilion 513c that had a fried hard drive, I'm assuming that I could swap out the hard drive and RAM from my computer and install it in the older computer that I was given. The problem I have is that my hard drive is a SATA drive and the old computer only accepts IDE, I have seen the converters available online for fairly cheap so my question is do these converters work well and if they do could anyone recommend a certain brand as well as any pointers or advice? Anything someone could tell me would be much appreciated, thanks. Oh yeah wanted to add that I have some data on my hard drive that is virtually irreplaceable and I don't have an OS disk so buying an IDE compatible hard drive doesn't seem to be an option for me unless there is a way I could do that and not lose my data, like I said I'm really new to this and any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again, Jim

Last edited:

sound computers

Welcome to the forum, and the computer maintenance industry. :)

as far as the RAM, if it is of compatible form factor (ie if it fits in the slots) and its a type the motherboard supports that shouldn't be an issue.
the hard drive will work with a converter given that you have all of the power supply requirements.

sata to ide converter

...for example is a good unit that i have used in the past. it even comes with the power connector cable and a sata cable.

there are devices to allow you to connect your hard drive to a computer via a usb cable without installing the drive inside, if you wanted to get your data off that way.

external type

these can be a bit strange to work with as they can require you power the HDD from inside the machine.

cheers. good luck!