Scanner

Vaibhav

hye

i am thinking of buying a scanner.going through the product specs i saw some needed USB 2.0 or USb 1.1. what exactly is this?
also does more dpi mean better the scanner?

TheChef

USB is Universal Serial Bus, the most basic connectivity port there is. But 2.0 is fast. USB 1.1 is really slow compared to USB 2.0, and looking at the Specs of your computer, you almost definetly have USB. USB 2.0 is backwards compatible with 1.1. DPI is dots per square inch. Generally, the more DPI the better, due to more colors creating the one big color you want.

superflysmith

Get one with USB 2 unless you like sitting around for two minutes while the thing scans in. Also get it least 2400 dpi x 4800dpi. You can go higher but I've been told it won't really matter if you go to much higher. I just bought the Epson Perfection 2480 Photo for $99 and it works out great for me. If your pc doesn't have usb2 you can just buy a card for your computer. They are easy to install.
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=130100

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
The higher the resolution the better, but only optical resolution counts (interpolated resolution is pure marketing bullshit).

Vaibhav

so if i want to get the latest in the market i will also have buy the card which superflysmith mentioned?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Get one with USB 2 unless you like sitting around for two minutes while the thing scans in
Ive got a scanner here with USB1 and it takes a whopping 16 seconds to scan in.

so if I want to get the latest in the market I will also have buy the card which superflysmith mentioned?
Not neccesarily. More importantly, u'll have to buy the latest and greatest SCANNER

superflysmith

Praetor said:
Ive got a scanner here with USB1 and it takes a whopping 16 seconds to scan in.

It took me a lot longer than that with my old scanner. Then again that may be because it was an old scanner
:confused:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
It took me a lot longer than that with my old scanner. Then again that may be because it was an old scanner
Yeah that would definitely be it ... this scanner is fairly new :)