scsi to laptop

jwehebrink

Hi,

Spare a minute for a question from a computer dummy.

I have an old laptop (inspiron 7000) and want to add an external CD.

A colleague is selling a Yamaha drive for with a SCSI-2 connection. Can I get an adaptor to use that? e.g. SCSI to parallel port? I like the idea because i have only one unreliable USB port which is already taken up by my printer.

Thanks Jan :confused:

Yeti

VIP Member
Bobo, knock it off.

jwehebrink - with minimal searching I couldn't find any scsi to parallel adapters (and the scsi adapters I did find were pretty expensive). I would suggest either buying a usb drive and get a usb to parallel adapter or a usb drive and a usb hub.

Bobo

banned
Yeti said:
Bobo, knock it off.
Ya, I better. Praetor's on my case, too :D
Yeti said:
with minimal searching I couldn't find any scsi to parallel adapters (and the scsi adapters I did find were pretty expensive). I would suggest either buying a usb drive and get a usb to parallel adapter or a usb drive and a usb hub.
Why not just a hub and an SCSI2-->USB???

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
jwehebrink:
Apologies on behalf of retardito el Bobo for trashing your thread.

A colleague is selling a Yamaha drive for with a SCSI-2 connection. Can I get an adaptor to use that? e.g. SCSI to parallel port? I like the idea because i have only one unreliable USB port which is already taken up by my printer.
SCSI to Parallel adaptors do exist however make sure you match the proper SCIS pin connects (50 vs 68 pin etc)

jwehebrink

No worries Bobo. Thanks all. I had searched SCSI parallel adaptors but didn't find much of use. Suspect some stuff is harder to get in Australia. I was trying to avoid USB because I find that with my USB 1.1 my machine crashes alot. The truth is I need to get a new PC.

Happy Easter. Cheers from down-under.

Jan