Seagate 80GB Problem

Semi

My PSU failed at one point and so had to replace it. After doing so, tried to boot into the system but got an error saying "A Disk Error Occured." I then used a boot CD to run some "diagnostics;" the Drives is not recognized, tho it shows up on the BIOS and in the "Device Manager" on another PC. While this is possible, "My Computer" screen does not display anything reguarding the drive nor does it even appear. Under "Disk management", the drive's model is recognized as should, but when I right-click on it the only option I get is to "Format" the drive, which i do not want to do. I also tried to copy the drive onto another 80GB drive, not luck since it is a WD and neither of the programs recognize the other company's drive. Is there a way to fix the drive or at the very least get my data back??

Thanks for the Help,

Semi

Semi

Its not that the PSU fell, but rather it failed. Either way, whats the best Drive to Drive copy around? What i do not understand why would the drive become "corrupt" after a PSU change??

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Either way, whats the best Drive to Drive copy around?
Something like Ghost might do the job for you :)

What i do not understand why would the drive become "corrupt" after a PSU change??
Its possible but highly highly unlikely (assuming the PSU fails, the drive heads fall and damage a track, say the boot track or something)

Blade

maybe you have simply got the drive plugged in to a secondary slot? I had my new drive plugged into the secondary SATA slot and got a "disk error" every time i started, through process of ellimination i just moved the cable and all is fine

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
maybe you have simply got the drive plugged in to a secondary slot? I had my new drive plugged into the secondary SATA slot and got a "disk error" every time i started, through process of ellimination i just moved the cable and all is fine
Thats more of a workaround than a solution ain't it? ;) (now what happens if you've got no more slots to move it to? ... and why doesnt that socket work? heehee)
Furthermore that's not the case because Drive Management detects the drive