Second monitor (LCD) screen has...flicker/noise/distortion thingy going on.

NovaTiger

I have a laptop with an extra VGA port on the back that I have hooked a second LCD monitor to. For some reason, the upper left side of that monitor has a tendency to sort of shimmer of flicker. Sometimes even the upper and/or left sides, too, but to a lesser degree. I have ATI IGP 345M display adapters. I've uninstalled and reinstalled it as well as my monitor (from the device manager, not just unplugging them). It's particularly noticable when the colors in the problematic area are lighter/brighter. When I run the monitor all by itself on my desktop it works just fine. Is it some sort of weird radiation emission problem? I'm at a loss as to how to fix this really annoying problem.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like the problem isnt with the display adaptor but with the monitor itself .. check for EMI nearby :)

NovaTiger

Actually I asked my friend about this and he said that it could be something having to do with an anomalous refresh rate. With that in mind, I changed the monitor's refresh rate from 60 mhz to 75 and voila, it was solved. Thank goodness there's always a more tech-adept fish.

By the way, thanks for trying to help! I went for days without so much as a suggestion.