Selling Requirements Discussion

linkin

VIP Member
Heatware, okay. what about eBay feedback, does that count? I got 77 transactions on ebay, 100%, buying and selling. Perhaps it can be heatware and/or ebay?

I just think we have to be more careful in general too.

Dystopia

I like the idea of the picture with the item, as it only takes 20 seconds to get a picture and put it on something like Imageshack.

How about

100 posts to buy
300 posts to sell

Would something like that be implementable?

Expect some people for some people like me...but I do like your idea about 100/buy and 300/sell, on top of 3 months being a member.

Rit

Heatware, okay. what about eBay feedback, does that count? I got 77 transactions on ebay, 100%, buying and selling. Perhaps it can be heatware and/or ebay?

I just think we have to be more careful in general too.

I think ebay should be mentioned when possible, cause if someone doesn't feel comfortable buying from someone through the forum, they can always throw it up on ebay and do it a buy it now, then that way there's some more 'security' with the sale.

ganzey

banned
I think ebay should be mentioned when possible, cause if someone doesn't feel comfortable buying from someone through the forum, they can always throw it up on ebay and do it a buy it now, then that way there's some more 'security' with the sale.

but then there is listing fees. paypal's buyer protection is actually pretty good

FATALiiTYz

I also like the idea of having 100 posts to buy and 300 posts to sell. I also think that having an ebay/heatware account should be mandatory. I would like it if one of the mods made a thread in the FS section talking about the issue and telling people what they should and shouldn't do (ie buy a 5850 for $100 :) )

joh06937

i definitely think that there should be a post number requirement. 100 does seem too low. 500 seems to be an okay number for the requirement. maybe only like 300 or 400 for buying and 500 for selling. but i think it is really up to the buyer/seller to look on cf and find posts by the seller/buyer and see if the seller/buyer is just getting up to 500/400 as fast as they can. a length of membership requirement seems reasonable as well. i would probably go for around 3-4 months or so. pictures should be optional. there really ought to be a guideline sticky that helps potential buyers and sellers make good decisions. it doesn't take a noob to get scammed :)

massahwahl

VIP Member
I personally think there should be a number of posts AND length of time requirement to use the buy/sell forum. Make it a requirement to be here for 3 or 4 months and have 100 posts before you can use that section.

bomberboysk

i definitely think that there should be a post number requirement. 100 does seem too low. 500 seems to be an okay number for the requirement. maybe only like 300 or 400 for buying and 500 for selling. but i think it is really up to the buyer/seller to look on cf and find posts by the seller/buyer and see if the seller/buyer is just getting up to 500/400 as fast as they can. a length of membership requirement seems reasonable as well. i would probably go for around 3-4 months or so. pictures should be optional. there really ought to be a guideline sticky that helps potential buyers and sellers make good decisions. it doesn't take a noob to get scammed :)
Most forums do not operate on a time basis, its not really going to protract anyone either, as all they need to do is make some posts and then wait a few months. If you can prove you have the item, and have heatware(whether it be empty,positive, or negative) that can be left, then there is little else you can do to prevent yourself being scammed.

salvage-this

Most forums do not operate on a time basis, its not really going to protract anyone either, as all they need to do is make some posts and then wait a few months. If you can prove you have the item, and have heatware(whether it be empty,positive, or negative) that can be left, then there is little else you can do to prevent yourself being scammed.

That is a good point.

I think that having a combination of the two would be a good idea. If you raised that posts to 200-300 and set a time limit of a few months that might help. Even though that would put me back to not being able to post on the fs threads... :(

can someone clue me into what heatware is? I never really heard about it.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Heatware and a piece of paper with your CF username next to the item(s) should be a requirement, not an option. If you get burned by someone, you can leave a negative eval on their heatware account. Ebay should be optional. 100 posts is fine imo, but if ian wanted to bump that up a bit, to like 300 to sell, that would be cool. At the end of the day, like bomber stated, there's only so much we can do to prevent trolls.

funkysnair

VIP Member
well coming from someone who has been burned twice!

paypal should be the only method used for paying for goods too, just so everyone is protected "especialy the buyer"-who in most casses is taking the risks as payments are made 1st!

i think the post count wont make a difference really as i was burned by someone with 300+ posts!

few guidlines

pay by paypal (not gift)
photo taken of item with name etc on paper
posting date should be given
tracking numbers should be provided
post all of comunication in forsale thread (apart from personal details)

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
few guidlines

pay by paypal (not gift)
photo taken of item with name etc on paper
posting date should be given
tracking numbers should be provided
post all of comunication in forsale thread (apart from personal details)

i think thats nailed it right in the head with the guidelines...I still think the minimum post requirement should be raised to at least 300 to 500.

Heatware is a brilliant though....another rule could be that your heatware account name must match your computerforum username....eg..yellow ones shown below dont match.
names.png

Surely theres some options in Heatware to change your Heatware username for those that dont want to loose their current heatware account?

bomberboysk

i think thats nailed it right in the head with the guidelines...I still think the minimum post requirement should be raised to at least 300 to 500.

Heatware is a brilliant though....another rule could be that your heatware account name must match your computerforum username....eg..yellow ones shown below dont match.
names.png

Surely theres some options in Heatware to change your Heatware username for those that dont want to loose their current heatware account?

No options to change it, but you can set your alias on different forums on your heatware profile. Take mine for instance here:
http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=67492

Username: Bomberboysk Forum: EVGA
Username: Bomberboysk Forum: Computerforum.com
Username: Bomberboysk Forum: [H]ardForum

Alot of people on other forums also have it in their sig, as well as post a link in their for sale threads.

Last edited:

Gabe63

Personally I think the idea of having 100 posts to sell or buy hurts sales here. People should be smart enough to check references before they pay for something. Less regulation is good for business! 10posts would keep out the general scum? What happened before this rule was in place?

Pic's are good and usually help make a sale. Requiring them should not be mandatory. I wont buy without them so I am ok.

bomberboysk

Personally I think the idea of having 100 posts to sell or buy hurts sales here. People should be smart enough to check references before they pay for something. Less regulation is good for business! 10posts would keep out the general scum? What happened before this rule was in place?

Pic's are good and usually help make a sale. Requiring them should not be mandatory. I wont buy without them so I am ok.
100 posts is not alot, its not hard to get 100 posts. Not to mention, another reason is that you need 100 posts to PM, in order to reduce spam.