Serge Protector

lostsoul62

I have a serge protector with over 3,000 joules. We had 2 bad lighting storms which blow out the electricity and shut my computer down twice and I had to re-image it and it has never been the same. I also have the top of the line UPS which I was too lazy to put in so I will put that in to save whatever is left of my computer. My understanding is that a UPS is ten times better than a serge protector which didn't help much for me. Now I would like to protect my 55 inch TV and the $150 sound system, it's a Visio. What UPS should I buy because I sure don't trust the serge protector in a lighting storm?

tremmor

Belkin. works well. but if a serious storm it might not solve your problem. Especially if loosing power then surging back on. best to unplug until its done. battery backup, to shut down properly can be a good thing. then they go bad too after a few years. say Belkin is good.

beers

Staff member
What UPS did you buy for your PC? How did you know it was top of the line without doing research and knowing what other units would be decent as well?

Most of the pure sine Cyberpower ones are a decent value for money. If you don't have anything that uses Active PFC then you can get away with a simulated sine unit.