Serious Help Needed

wicked859

banned
Ok, Well, I threw together an old compaq, so I could have a pc at my dads house, well everything went fine, the only problem I had was the onboard sound not working :C...Ive double checked everything twice over, Ive made sure that my onboard audio is enabled in the bios, and Im really stuck...anyone got any ideas??

PC eye

banned
Drivers need updating if not a simple reinstallation. You can easily right click on the MyComputer icon and click the hardware devices button to enter the device manager. Scroll down to the sound and game controllers section and open that up. You should see a yellow mark on something there. You simply right click on any item found and choose the update driver option if you have the drivers onhand for the system.

wicked859

banned
Thats the thing, Ive already checked that and there was no conflict, but just incase I went ahead and downloaded and installed the latest drivers...and, Im still not sure what the problem is..:mad:

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
Hopefully the onboard chip didn't give out. If it's a driver issue you would first right click on the sound device listing in the device manager and choose the uninstall to see the original drivers removed. After a restart of the system the hardware could then be updated by then installing the newer ones. The problem besides a failed chip would be seeing that the drivers are made active by allowing Windows to copy them fully from a folder where the new drivers were unpacked.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
I've had a computer where the onboard sound just died. It would show up in windows and what not, but any time it tried to play sounds, it would lock the system up. I just disabled onbaord and used another sound card and the system was fine. However, this kind of problem is very rare.

PC eye

banned
Checking the connections as well as the jacks on the board itself would help. Generally you still hear something from one side or the other if one was unplugged or a bad connection was there. The amp in your speakers could have crapped out on you though.

wicked859

banned
Ive double, triple, and quadruple checked all connections, nothing, Ive even plugged in 2 different pairs of headphones, and still nothing, I could buy a 30$ creative, but I really didnt want to do that just for a pc at my dads house....

PC eye

banned
You either downloaded the wrong ones or the onboard quit on you. With onboard you have the same problem seen with pci sound due to AGP/PCI conflicts that can come up with XP's resource sharing. What model is the system there? Was that purchased before the buyout of Compaq by HP?

wicked859

banned
Yea, Im pretty sure it was purchased before hp took over compaq...Before, I had a creative audigy sound card in this system, but traded it over to my main computer, the onboard sound is a realteck ac 97...I really appreciate all the help
model number: Compaq Pesario s6300nx

wicked859

banned
Still didnt fix the problem, I fear that the onboard chip is *Dead*, but I think I can get a crappy sound card from a friend, I appreciate all the help PC Eye

PC eye

banned
That one was in the lower price range there. Personally for a good sound card without being the latest and highest priced I have been running the Audigy 4 Pro 5.1 surround model.

SirKenin

banned
It does sound like it's plain old fried. It happens. Just buy a cheapo. The best thing to do is go to the computer shop. If they are anything like me they will have a box full of crap. Just ask him to sell you an old used one for 10 bucks or something. I doubt they'd give you a hassle. 10 tax free bucks that you don't have to put in the till is a couple of beers. :p

PC eye

banned
The idea is to be able to use the sound card after the old Compaq takes a turn for the worse. Then you don't to buy two separate cards. Gee that can leave extra money onhand for.... those ultimate hardwares you really want. :D

wicked859

banned
well guys, after thinking about it last night, Ive decided to go ahead and upgrade my main pcs sound card to a x-fi at xmas, and Ill just use the audigy se in the compaq, until then I can use one from a friend.