server 2003

stargate

Hello I have a problem several problems that I need help with.
I have a local network with one dc and a dns server and dhcp server.
My local network runs ok but would like to know how to enable my isp connection so that it does not take over my system.
I have tried to configure nat but I have no public address.
I have a member server configured with rras with two nics in it but I am finding it hard to fgure out the config.
Do I use nat? Should I be trying by other means.
My router is a netgear wnr1000.
I have a hub connecting my servers and my workstations together.
My router was sending out dhcp to my workstations but I have turned this off.
I am running server 2003 enterprise edition and windows xp.
i would also like to set up a web server and ftp site.
I am using a .local for my local domain.
Any help would be appreciated?
stargate

ejenner

Hello I have a problem several problems that I need help with.
I have a local network with one dc and a dns server and dhcp server.
My local network runs ok but would like to know how to enable my isp connection so that it does not take over my system.
I have tried to configure nat but I have no public address.
I have a member server configured with rras with two nics in it but I am finding it hard to fgure out the config.
Do I use nat? Should I be trying by other means.
My router is a netgear wnr1000.
I have a hub connecting my servers and my workstations together.
My router was sending out dhcp to my workstations but I have turned this off.
I am running server 2003 enterprise edition and windows xp.
i would also like to set up a web server and ftp site.
I am using a .local for my local domain.
Any help would be appreciated?
stargate

I have to break this down to have any hope of answering it:

"My local network runs ok but would like to know how to enable my isp connection so that it does not take over my system."

How do you think the ISP connection could take over your system? I always felt the issue of setting up your router with a connection to the internet and the issue of setting up a private network were seperate tasks? If things are working properly then you need only a very simple configuration on the server to get it talking to the internet. In fact it's almost just a case of connecting the server to the router?

"I have tried to configure nat but I have no public address."

NAT could still work even if you have a dynamic IP address from your ISP. Whether you have it enabled or not is a setting in the router normally. Different routers handle NAT differently and different network configurations require this on and off to get something which works relative to other parts of the network.

"I have a member server configured with rras with two nics in it but I am finding it hard to fgure out the config."

If you just want simple access to the internet for this network then there is no need to be fiddling around with RRAS or multiple network cards. A single network card should be all you need to get the basics working. You said you have 2003 enterprise server. If that's the case then it should be as easy as I'm suggesting. If you actually have 2003 small business server then there are configurations for that system which require multiple network cards as the server has a preoccupation with the idea of being a router. Never pretty. I don't / didn't install 2003 SBS for this reason. But you said you are using 2003 Enterprise server so this should be an issue. Having said all of that, it is of course totally possible to configure a network with a 2003 SBS server which allows access to the internet, it's complicated and problematic in the longrun.

"Do I use nat? Should I be trying by other means."

It depends on what you are trying to achieve? Often when you have a server at the top of your network you have websites to host and email servers which require special rules redirecting traffic within a NAT configuration. All I can really say without knowing exactly what you're trying to do is maybe yes, maybe no. The way to work it out is to check that you have the basics right.

Assuming you have only the router sitting between your server and the ADSL RJ11 connector. i.e. your router has the RJ11 going to the phone line and the server is connected to an RJ45 port on the back of the router. This is the most simple and basic setup and it should be easy to get working.

Firstly, the lights on the DSL router.

You should have a DSL light illuminated. That indicates that a compatible DSL service is available on the phone line you are connected to. If you don't have this then there's no hope of moving forward. You have to contact the ISP and check that the service is active. A new connection you've ordered might not have come live yet, router might not be properly connected, router might be broken.

You should have the 'Internet' light illuminated. The 'internet' light indicates that the credentials are correctly entered into the router and your ISP and your router are connected and everything is ok.

These are the basic lights. You should also have a power light to show the router is turned on and an Ethernet light to show the server is connected to the router.

TCP/IP connection to the router Typically the server operates on what's know as a 'private network'. Private networks have IP addresses starting with either 10.xxx.xxx.xxx or 192.168.xxx.xxx or 172.xxx.xxx.xxx - Your server should not have any addresses which don't look like this configured into the network card which communicates with the router. If it is an SBS server then you do start messing around with public IPs on the server but not for a 2003 Enterprise server.

So assuming you are using the most obvious TCP/IP addresses your server's network configuration should look like this.

IP Address: 192.168.0.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

The critical issues here are having an IP Address and Default Gateway sharing the same IP scheme. If those addresses are different then the server will not be able to communicate with the router.

The DNS entries on the server can be either its own IP Address, this is ideal if you are using it as a 'member server' (which is not what I think you think it is) or 'Active Directory' DC. You could program in the DNS server details given to you by the ISP, that will work for browsing but causes issues with the operation of Active Directory. In short, to get this working you should be fine with 192.168.0.2 programed into the first DNS slot and nothing in the second.

THIS IS ALL YOU HAVE TO DO ON THE SERVER If everything is working ok you should be able to test by using the 'PING' command.

Hopefully you know how to PING other hosts from your server. If not then I can explain that seperately.

1. Ping 192.168.0.1 - the internal IP address of the router (with NAT setup) - you should get a reply. If you don't then you need to check that NAT is enabled and that you've configured the internal IP address to be compatible with your private network.

2. If you have a reply for the first test then ping the following address. 194.119.131.65 - I've no idea who's server this is but it is a public server on the internet and has always responded to a PING - I always use it to test my connections. If you get a reply then your problem is just a little bit of DNS configuration. If no reply then you have a problem with your connection to the internet. The problem is inside the router or it is an admin issue with the ISP. i.e. you can't connect to the internet because the ISP won't let you.

3. If you have a reply for the first and second PING tests then try pinging www.yahoo.com - this usually resolves and replies as well. If only tests 1 and 2 work then you're connected to the internet but you have a problem with DNS resolving domain names.

As for the rest of your questions... I think it has to be one step at a time.