setting up web server at home

jaipandya

just a few days ago i came to know that i can setup web server at my home. i have windows xp. i have installed internet information services from windows installation cd. this is version 5.1.

But i do not know much after it. my ip is 10.0.2.113 . when i enter this ip in my address bar it opens the web page created by me stored in c:\inetpub\wwwroot

i think the people on the LAN can open this page but how can other people on the internet can open this page? (i have 24 hrs cable internet connection).from a web site i can to know that my external ip is 202.149.32.11 but typing it in the address bar doen't open my web page.

one thing more

what is router? read this term many times when i was searching internet for this problem. i cudn't understand how to know do i have a router or not!

thanks in advance.........!

jaipandya

when i type 10.0.2.1 ( I tried 10.0.2.2 also) in address bar. ie just shows "The page cannot be displayed".........oops! what may be the problem? someone told me that i don't have a real ip, so i cannot run web server at my home!!

Super_Nova

You need to configure your router to forward all requests on port 80 from the internet to local IP 10.0.2.113 if that is the IP of the machine that is hosting the web server.

EgySaint

first dude u r asking about the router, simply the router is the device that links ur LAN to the external world of the internet.
ther router has 2 IP addresses one of them is the one that works with the internet which is called real IP address and another one for the LAN called private IP address
the router is a mini computer that routes the connections between the private IP address " the LAN " and the real IP address " Internet "
there is a table inside the router where you add there any kind of connections route required between the LAN and the internet
all what you need to do is to add instructions into this table that any connection request by the internet through your external/real IP address goes to the private IP address which you have your IIS setuped to "your XP IP address"

jaipandya

EgySaint said:
first dude u r asking about the router, simply the router is the device that links ur LAN to the external world of the internet.
ther router has 2 IP addresses one of them is the one that works with the internet which is called real IP address and another one for the LAN called private IP address
the router is a mini computer that routes the connections between the private IP address " the LAN " and the real IP address " Internet "
there is a table inside the router where you add there any kind of connections route required between the LAN and the internet
all what you need to do is to add instructions into this table that any connection request by the internet through your external/real IP address goes to the private IP address which you have your IIS setuped to "your XP IP address"

tx very much. it was much explaining..!goin to try wht u said

Last edited: