shared printer sometime ready sometimes not

mumbra99

hi all,

ive just upgraded this win98 pc into XP pro. the problem is when i go to start -> printer & faxes, to view all available shared printer, sometimes all the printer ready but sometimes they were all not found. then i need to refresh,refresh and restart all over again to make them back to ready state then i can use the shared printer.

is it because of the windows firewall? before when it was win98 no such problem ever happened. any ideas?

Eiremax

Ive found sometimes the computer with the printer has to be logged in and not just turned on (if that is the case!)

hope that helps :D

mumbra99

actually, the pc that attached to the shared printer already logged in to the network and about the microsoft troubleshooting its didnt cover the problem.

to make it clear to all, this printer is detected to this pc and can print like normal and no problem at all, but after a while its gone. the printer status says 'network not found' . then i need to restart to make this printer status ready again.

then i just noticed something this morning, i check the LAN status for send and receive packets. i found that both send and receive just around 2000 something and sometimes around 200 packets, compared to my pc which is always millions (send:9 481 +++ , receive:356 308 +++). and this pc getting slow for everything and sometimes just hang like that.

what to do? im really got a headache with this one. plsplspls

Eiremax

1. Go to Start button.
2. Go to Settings.
3. Click Printers.
4. Double click Add Printer.Click Next.
5. Select Network Printer.
6. Type network path(Where you'll find the printer) or queue name. Type Name of printer you want \\COMPUTERNAME\epsonCXX
Then select whether you print from MS-DOS-based programs. Usually No is selected.
7.Then select Manufacturer and Printers - Next
8.You then may see the following screen if you have the driver for that printer already installed. keep the existing driver unless you have an updated driver.

mumbra99

thanx eiremax, but i already did that many times. nothing improve so far.
this printer is detected and ok about <10 minutes after each log in, after that its gone just like that..