Should I get a new computer?

silentmayhem54

Should I get a new computer or should I just buy upgrades for it? I want to use this computer for high performance gaming. Also, what would be cheaper, getting a new computer or upgrading parts? This is my computer:

Microsoft XP Home Edition Service Pack 2
631 MHz
64 MB RAM
11.2 GB Hard Drive
Intel(R) 82810E Graphics Controller (Microsoft Corporation)

alanuofm

VIP Member
silentmayhem54 said:
I can't really give an amount because my mother will be buying it and she doesn't know how much she can spend on it.

are you looking to build or buy from retail? what kind of games will you be playing?

Yue

Lets be relistic, it unlikly your going to get high performance gaming machine with a low budget. Maybe something in the middle?

silentmayhem54

I want to buy from retail but I might be able to install some parts myself or get them install by someone. The games I would play are Half-Life 2, Battlefield 2, The Sims 2, and others.

alanuofm

VIP Member
hmmm its going to be hard to run all those games on a "very low budget." which is why we need a figure. maybe your definition of low is 1000$.

silentmayhem54

"Low" is probably less than $1000, so I guess I'll have to go for an "okay" system, but how much would "okay" cost and how well would a cheap system play games.

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
You really cant govern what a system can do via the price tag. My PC cost around £00 which is around 600 USD. I can play unreal tournament 2004 and the original half life at fairly decent fps (like about 40 - 45). I havent ever tried anything like HL2 and BF2.

alanuofm

VIP Member
silentmayhem54 said:
"Low" is probably less than $1000, so I guess I'll have to go for an "okay" system, but how much would "okay" cost and how well would a cheap system play games.

theres really no single configuration that will play a certain game. an intel media accelerator video card will play bf2 with 3 fps but do you want to? you should get a budget range from your mother first and we will attempt to find the best computer for your money.