single vs. dual channel?

batman810

which RAM setup is better?....

2 gigs of Dual Channel PC3200 DDR 400MHz

or

4 Gigs of Single Channel PC3200 DDR 400MHz

?????

OS Dragon

Difficult decision. I'm trying to components for my pc. I'm want to get hold of: 4, 1gig, Dual Channel PC3200 DDR 400MHz. :)

What motherboard do you have?

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
how would you run 4GB of RAM in single channel? that would use 4x1 GB sticks and all the slots on almost every motherboard. the chipset will see a bunch of same size and speed ram and run it dual channel

batman810

Cromewell...would it then run 4GB in dual channel or 2GB in dual channel, I dont really know alot, so im just trying to learn...im working on putting a really sweet computer together, so im trying to learn what I want. Right now the motherboard I have picked out is Chaintech 9CJS Anyway, I read somewhere that if you have two identical sticks of RAM in then it will run as dual channel, so im just trying to figure out, if I put 4 gigs or RAM in, that werent dual channel, would it run as dual channel, and would it be at 4 gigs still? thanks

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
yes it will still be 4GB of RAM, but it will also be in dual channel mode

dual channel only requires identicle size/speed RAM, you don't need to buy so called 'dual channel' kits

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Difficult decision. I'm trying to components for my pc. I'm want to get hold of: 4, 1gig, Dual Channel PC3200 DDR 400MHz
Not really... if you can run Dual Channel 2GB than you have NO CHOICE but to run Dual Channel 4GB

Cromewell...would it then run 4GB in dual channel or 2GB in dual channel
Well if you have 4GB and your motherboard support Dual Channel, then 4GB dual channel :)

you don't need to buy so called 'dual channel' kits
Ah so true ... so much money for that descriptor :p