Skipping

whatsmydingo

Whenever I play some type of movie the movie skips. Audio files work fine, but when anything has to play a movie, it will just like skip a couple seconds and then continue. This has happened with windows media player, winamp and powerdvd. I think it's a problem with maybe my video card (radeon 9500) because this problem has survived through at least one reformatting of my hard drive. Any ideas on how I could fix this?

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
I had a similar problem with an ATI AIW. If your CPU is fast enough, try setting the hardware acceleration one step to the left (display properties/settings/advanced/troubleshoot).
This solved my problem and the video played continuously after that.

whatsmydingo

It's an Athlon XP 2700+, and anything that has video output does the skipping, so like playing .mpgs and dvds and the like.

whatsmydingo

I tried doing what Lorand said, but it hasn't really helped, so I still have this problem. =\ If anyone could help that'd be great!

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
Recent graphics chips support some level of image rendering in hardware using built-in functions. This offloads the CPU from performing the same tasks.
Somewhat similar acceleration is available for some sound cards too... Not for every soundcard, as you experienced :)