Slave drive dead?

DeltaT

came home form my parents house Christmas night and found that my computer had attempted to mysteriously reboot its self. It did not complete the boot process. Had a message saying "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE". I just shut everything down and broke out my laptop and started searching for answers. I tied booting again, and got to safe mode, it hung after mui.sys (i think). I started reading about those problems and started pulling everything out of my PCI slots, disonected my USB and CD, DVD, and slave drives.

I then went into Bios, loaded optimized settings and restarted. It booted! I was relieved. Well, then I plugged in my CD and DVD. it booted. Plugged in my Sound card and slave, and the BIOS hung at detecting IDE devices. So I unplugged my slave, and it booted. Obviously there is a problem with my slave. It is a WD2500 (250gb) running with a AMD 2200+, 512 ddr 2700, master is a Maxtor 120, all on a SOYO dragon 400 (i think) VIA chipset.

1) Is the drive ruined? Could it be the boot sector or something that could be repaired.
2) Is their any way to recover anything off of it? It is all my mp3s and movies (all 250 GB). I've heard that there are programs that can recover this with damaged boot sectors but I don't understand how this would work if I can't even have this drive hooked up to my computer without it trying to restart.

Any insight to this problem would be greatly appreciated. Sorry about the length, but the more info, the better. Thanks again.

DeltaT

pipster

think its idd the ide cabletry another one.
also check if the jumper on the slave is still totally on the pins.[that if u need jumpers to get it in to slave offcourse] :)