Slideshow Screen Saver

bearcat

Windows 10.
I have a bizarre situation. I just installed a brand new computer monitor.

I wanted to see what my slideshow would look like.

I spent years with Windows 7, and do not like most of the changes in 10, they make it hard to do something like setting up a slideshow.

At any rate, I know how to do it, but it isn't working.
The folder I created for my slideshow is present, but EMPTY!

So, I performed a Search on the name of one of the photos, and there it is,
with all the rest, under the same file name! How is that possible?

Again and again I select this folder, and the background keeps defaulting to Solid Color.

I checked, and the same is true of ALL my photos and images. If I navigate by selecting This Computer, etc, they have Vanished.

If I perform a Search by name, there they are, and can be viewed.

Also, it feels really bullying that I have to choose from a menu of durations.
I want to set a custom duration, meaning, not change from a choice of 1 minute, 5 minute, 10 minute, but instead type in a duration of my choice.

bearcat

pc plugged in? slideshow wont work at all on battery

This made me chuckle. I am so old......no, this is not a tablet or a laptop. I despise those. No, I sit down at a desk with an old fashioned desttop PC, it is always plugged in.
I don't know how I finally did it, the process is needlessly complex in Windows 10, but slideshow is finally running.
However, I still can't get it to change the picture more rapidly than every one minute.
Also, unlike windows 7, I can't control it manually.
By that I mean, in windows 7 when the screen saver was up/on, I could use the navigation keys to shuffle manually back and forth.
Now, if I touch ANY key while screen saver is on in Win 10, it turns off and brings me to a password login page.
I'd like to turn that off.
I guess what I'm goning to have to do is install that "skin" stuff that supposedly changes the Win10 interface back to Win7 interface.
I can't get Windows Media Player to play an inserted DVD any more! I mean a commercial DVD, not one I purchased, there is simply no option to play existing.
Wasn't a problem on the Win7 computer.
There seems NO NEED, no reason for Win10 at all. I despise it.

strollin

Not sure why it was so difficult for you to make a slideshow in Win 10, go to Settings->Personalization->Lock screen. One of the options in the drop down menu there is slideshow. However, I don't see a way to make it so the slideshow doesn't end when you press a key.

Last edited:

bearcat

Strollin, That is not the path I ultimately took. But, looking at the path you suggest, if I took that by myself, this is what would happen:

I would arrive at the list that includes the option "Lock Screen".
I am a normal, everyday, computer-ignorant person.
NOTHING in common sense would even REMOTELY suggest that the option to set the screen saver to a Slides show would
be under the name "Lock Screen"

Common sense suggests to MY mind that "lock screen" refers to security, not functionality.

That is the problem with all things in Microsoft. Nothing makes common sense, nothing is named what it should logically be.
Everything is buried and hidden under obscure layers.
Why not begin with an extremely common base? Pretty much everyone in grade school memorized the English alphabet.
Instead of making us hunt around, why not list EVERYTHING in ONE PLACE alphabetically?
Why make us GUESS where the printer is?
Why have multiple things such as Contorol Panel, This PC, Devices and Printers, forcing us to hunt around and guess and get frustrated and want to smash furniture?
The only thing they dumbed down in Windows 10 is the extremely ugly and confusing interface==== one reviewer called it "Fisher Price" looking, which is exactly correct.

Similar problem with Third Party Software.
I want to find and delete a computer game, but it is nowhere to be found.
Why? Because it isn't LOGICAL. Logic says that the file will have the name of the game. Nope, it is BURIED under the
name of the arrogant PUBLISHER of the game. I don't know the name of the publisher, and
I don't care what the name of the publisher is. I know the name of the GAME that I paid for.

And evidently deleting a program doesn't delete it any more. I removed "YTD" a video program, and got an error message saying that
it couldn't be fully uninstalled. Well, MS, logically I will want to be told WHERE the fragments of that program still are, and HOW to remove them.
But, no, that woud be logical.

And of course the friendly sellers of "free" uninstall software are actually infesting you with spyware, virus, adware, malware.....

In Windows 7 I would get error message boxes pop up on the screen with some obscure long letter and number code.
Yet, for NO REASON, this was not possible to use the mouse to cut and paste the error code.
It had to be laboriously squintingly written down by hand on paper, then typed slowly onto a forum like this.
Not only that, but why instead of an obscure error message, why not AUTOMATICALLY link you to a MS page that SOLVES THE ERROR?

Yes, computers can be wonderful, but the level of suck is often off the charts.

strollin

That's because a screensaver really isn't needed these days but a lock screen is. With the older monitors, if you left a screen of static text up on the monitor, a ghost of the text would get permanently "burned in" to the monitor, a screen saver would prevent that by putting up moving images that weren't displayed long enough to cause "burn in". With today's monitors, that isn't as big a problem but security is, the lock screen is meant to display when the computer detects it has been inactive for a period of time, in the corporate world, a password would be required to clear the lock screen. Most home users disable the password requirement so the lock screen is of no real use.

Okedokey

That's because a screensaver really isn't needed these days but a lock screen is. With the older monitors, if you left a screen of static text up on the monitor, a ghost of the text would get permanently "burned in" to the monitor, a screen saver would prevent that by putting up moving images that weren't displayed long enough to cause "burn in". With today's monitors, that isn't as big a problem but security is, the lock screen is meant to display when the computer detects it has been inactive for a period of time, in the corporate world, a password would be required to clear the lock screen. Most home users disable the password requirement so the lock screen is of no real use.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/lg-oled-tv-available-in-us-retailer-show-burn-in/