Slow connection to certain sites

someguyinjax

Hi -

About a month ago, our daughter messed around installing/uninstalling various programs, and I haven't been able to get things back to normal yet. Let me explain the problem as simply as possible.

I am using an I5-3330 w/8 Gb of ram running Windows 8. We are using a Cisco wireless router hooked up to the Comcast modem...but this issue existed before we added the wireless network.

Certain sites, such as Gmail, Facebook, and Youtube are slow as mud. We have a 30mbps Comcast connection.

However, if I use a program such as Utorrent, everything is just as fast as it should be, as are certain internet sites. Internet speed tests show everything as completely normal.

I used every Malware detection under the sun, and got nothing. I finally did a Windows 8 reset back to factory settings. This STILL did not fix it.

It is only this computer, so it is definitely a localized problem. None of our portable devices, nor our PS3, have any connectivity issue.

Connectivity - while slow - is fastest on Chrome, in the middle on Firefox, and impossible on the previously named sites on IE...which is ironic, since Google mail is one of the sites we have the most difficulty logging in/out of (and even loading messages).

Thank you in advance for any help anyone can provide. We're literally at the point of replacing the computer if we can't figure out how to fix it.

Okedokey

Hi Someguy.

Ok lets summarise the situation. Its definitely your laptop as it is the only one on the network that experiences the issues. Even after a factory reset (OS) you still have the issue.

Things I would investigate:

1. Ensure you have the latest drivers and bios updates
  2. Update Windows
  3. Update all chipset drivers at Intel's download page
  4. Restart
  5. Ensure you have the latest version on IE http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/download-ie
  6. Restart
  7. Make sure you have Java installed and updated

then enter bios and ensure all settings are correct.

Then try what is here https://support.google.com/mail/troubleshooter/2753861?hl=en&ref_topic=1668976

After that its either a hardware fault of similar.

Last edited: