Slow PC

jshamley

New Member
My harddrive crashed and my video card went wacky. So I had to buy new stuff, it sucked and it still sucks. I got Windows 7 for xmas and was excited to try that, cause I dealt with the nightmarish mish mash of computer software that is Windows Vista. Now I have a brand new hard drive, video card and Windows 7...this computer is going to kick butt!

NOPE

It is slow...did I buy the wrong video card, harddrive, or should I throw the whole damn thing in a river? At least I have a decent screen I guess?

Here is what I have:
Windows 7 Home Premium
4GB RAM (3GB useable - why do I have 4 if only 3 can be...I digress, nevermind)
ATI Radeon HD 4300 video card
Intel Pentium D CPU 2.80GHz 2.79GHz (makes sense?)
Western Digital Green (yay environment!) 500GB Hard Drive

All of the drivers are up to date and windows update is current...etc, etc. The machine was built through Dell (this is why I suggest a river) about 2 years ago. Is there something I can do without having to spend more money? Or should I take it to the PC store and let them charge me 2 bills to blow out my fans?

Thanks for listening and any help that you may provide!
 
Could be software. Stuff like SpyWare and viruses.
If it is just check
For SpyWare Google the following "SpyWare Search And Destroy" It's realy good and works, if all fails google "Super anti spyware" Both working and good. What virus program do you have? I have AVG which in my opinion is the BEST just update your anti virus and scan whole computer. Your computer could also be overheating Open your computer have a look for dust (vacuum is the best) dont worry about what people say bout static just hold the hoover ABOVE the Pc and blow the dust out so the vacuum sucks it up. Dont touch the motherboard with it. A Hoover has a motor that creates static which causes malfunctions just by a tiny spark touching your motherboard (rare)
Hope this helped
PD.
 
Last edited:
As for your thoughts on hardware you have a rather good setup so to be honest i think it aint hardware your hardrive is good, and your ram is amazing so is your video card... well not amazing but standard so its somethin else.
 
it's the CPU. A pentium D is just 2 pentium 4 cores on one chip. and they blow, pretty badly.

A 2.2Ghz Core 2 Duo (slow by today's standards) is equal to a 3.4Ghz Pentium D ;)
 
thanks guys for the feedback. I ran the programs that were mentioned and that definitely helped, but still rather slow. I have AVG for virus software. I notice the slowness most when I am trying to use lots of bandwidth (duh), like watching movies or listening to music (streaming, not local).

if it is the CPU, then what would you recommend upgrading too? something that is sufficient, but not super expensive.

thanks again!
 
that depends on your motherboard. use CPU-Z to identify it. specifically the model number and chipset.

how much would you be looking to spend on a cpu? the Pentium Dual Core E6300 (not a pentium d, mine uses the wolfdale core) is a nice, inexpensive cpu that also performs well, and once you overclock it (like i have, they are great clockers) they really get going.
 
where do I use the CPU-Z command? I tried the command prompt, but it said that CPU-Z is not a recognized command.

thanks!
 
ONECOL.jpg


that is the info from CPU-Z. please recommend a CPU for me...I am willing to spend the money. I am just sick of dealing with this slow machine :mad:

thank you!
 
I could spend a couple hundred bucks...but maybe I could squeeze a bit more out of the wife if it would make a big difference.

Let's say that my budget is up to $200.

thank you!
 
Back
Top