SMPS making huge noise during Startup even in a brand new CPU

Arijit Deb

Recently I builded a new CPU.Every parts of the CPU is new but i noticed during startup, the smps is making big noise and gradually stops. In my previous CPU also,same problem was there,so i built a new CPU but same problem.I still cannot figure out what is the problem.All parts of the CPU are brand new and all parts are tightened correctly and 99% dust proof. I need a permanent solution to rectify this sound issue.Thank you

Arijit Deb

if the power supply is under warranty raise a RMA and ask for a new one.
Actually it maybe/may not be under warranty. i am ready to purchase another smps,but i fear if the same sound problem happens again.My previous cpu was making the same sound from the smps but after i built a new cpu with all new parts, again same type of sound coming. Now i doubt, whether its UPS fault or electrical connection of home.And my electricity board which i plugged in computer doesn't have earthing.

Darren

Staff member
Wait, your power strip isn't grounded? Might want to fix that.

Reviews for that power supply are not good to say the least. Might be a bad one. Is it brand new?

Darren

Staff member
Can you describe this sound? Is it a whine, rattle, click, etc? Does it fluctuate or change? Does it go away after a while? Is it identical or just similar to what you had before on the previous hardware? If it's different at all I would just suspect a bad power supply even if it's new, but if it's identical, might be something else going on since as you said everything is swapped out.

Arijit Deb

As soon as i start the CPU, the sound starts like a starting of generator and slowly by a minute or two dissipates.But sometime the sound problem doesn't occur.It occurs occassionally and if suddenly power cut(load shedding) occurs then my home inverter battery gets drained within seconds and so i had to use Computer only in AC mode..The sound problem is similar to the previous problem.CPU is totally new, only UPS and monitor are previous ones.I still cannot figure out what is the fault

Darren

Staff member
Might just have to deal with it. Sounds like a symptom of strange power delivery.

It's normal for power supplies to ramp up to max when the machine is first booted since they haven't initialized their sensors and for safety just max the fans. Once it's properly booted this goes back down, but usually should be like 10-15 seconds, not 2 minutes.