so I decided to build my first computer...

panther05

Two weeks ago I knew very little about computer hardware. But then I grew sick of my emachines celeron 466mhz 64ram 6.4GB junk (was taking 15 minutes just to power it up and waking up my parents when the fans would turn on) so I decided to just read and learn about building my own PC to save some money (as I am a student and have a crappy job)

so I did hours and hours of research and last night I bought the main components from newegg. Here's the list of the things I ordered:

ASUS 'P5GD1' 915P Chipset Motherboard For Intel LGA 775
EVGA nVIDIA GeForce 6600GT Video Card PCI-express
CPU P4/2.8 GHz HT 800M LGA775 520
One Crucial 184 Pin 512MB ECC DDR PC-3200

I guess reason I'm posting is to hear comfort that these components will work well together. I intended to buy a much cheaper PC (for $300-400 complete) but now i'm the tab is gonna be around $700 or so. I'm so broke, but oh well, this computer will be my life pretty much.

Aslo, I only bought one 512 ram, should I get another one?

And lastly, I've never build a PC before and I don't have any friends or family that can help. I've googled and found a bunch of online tutorials - do you guys think I should be fine?

And what about installing the processor onto the motherboard, I hear it's difficult. I bought this little anti-static wrist-strap that hopefully will work. But is it really as hard as some people say?

Well..I should be receiving my order either Tuesday or Wednesday, so if anything is wrong with my set-up, let me know and I can still return components.

Thanks for the help.

panther05

oh and I forgot to add...

I'm not much of a gamer (although I might get Doom3)...the computer will be mainly used for A LOT of internet, microsoft office applications (excel, word, etc), picture editing (Adobe PS), animation software, some video/music editing, and a some accounting programs.

heinzbitte

As far as I can tell that is fine. What about a Harddrive and cd/dvd drive?

As for the building this computer was the first computer I built, and it went fine except for installing windows(I used mac before and messed up and stuff).

I would recomend setting up a little workstation on like a table where many people won't be walking around and things.

I don't really think the wrist band is nessacary but it will help you. I would start off by putting my motherboard on the anti static bag and then putting the processor in it. Make sure that you don't bend any of the pins. Then put the thermal transfer stuff and hitsink/fan on.

Then put it in your case to see where to put the spacers and then lift up the motherboard and screw in the spacers. Then put the motherboard back on and screw it on, not too tight.

I would then recomend putting in the psu and connecting it to the motherboard and setting out the wires you need for your Hard drive, Cd drive, floppy drive and stuff.

Then put in hard drives, then video card, then ram(make sure it is in the right spot). Make sure all the jumper setting are correct. And tie together all the wires with cable ties so they don't wiggle around and stuff.

That was really really really bad advice just ignore me.

Make sure you read all the manuals, I think this is the link to your motherboard's manual.
http://www.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket775/P5GD1/e1673_p5gd1.pdf

And about the RAM, it is probably enough for now and especialy more than what you had before. But you can get another stick later if you would like.

panther05

I work at best buy and get a really good discount on the PSU and Case, but turns out it's not so good for the drive and hard drive. There's is tigerdirect location close to where I live, so I'll go there and check out the prices for the Drive/Harddrive, and if anything, I'll just order it from newegg (should all arrive on same day since I ordered yestarday and they don't deliver on Saturdays)

Here's the case/PSU combo i'm getting:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...t&productCategoryId=cat01069&id=1091099784169

come's with a 500watt PSU and it cost $65 to me.
The PSU will be good enough for my system right?

an0nym0us

be VERY careful installing the heatsink on any non-Intel, socket 775 motherboards. you have to put force, but not alot, if you put too much force then you can damage the board and have to RMA it.

Lax

VIP Member
Greenheadhunter said:
Installing the processor is the easiest part of building a computer. Just line up the pins and set her down.
He said heatsink and no it's not that hard. open the retainers, lay it in, press down so the clips lock, then with 2 hands close both little retainers are the same time. As for the Memory you might just wanna go straight for 2 chips so that you can have dual channel going.

panther05

ok as far as the PSU, i decided for the Antec Neo Power (I get it for $100 at bestbuy)

I'll likely be ordering this case, or similar. A quick question though – will that NeoPower fit in any case? Or do I have to pick a specific size case? I'm reading this 20-24 pin thing in that PSU 101 thread that got me confused.

Lord AnthraX said:
He said heatsink and no it's not that hard. open the retainers, lay it in, press down so the clips lock, then with 2 hands close both little retainers are the same time. As for the Memory you might just wanna go straight for 2 chips so that you can have dual channel going.
well I meant both, lol. But it's good to hear that it's simply just dropping it in. This bastard at tiger direct told me it was difficult and with an attitude.

As for the ram, I'm planning on going ahead and getting the second stick when I order my case/psu/drives tomorrow. Damn!!! Im ending up spending $900-$1000 :mad:

an0nym0us

Greenheadhunter said:
Installing the processor is the easiest part of building a computer. Just line up the pins and set her down.
hey genius, his chip has no pins! :eek: wtf?!?!?! how does it work? OMG OMG OMG

and yes i was talking about the HEATSINK

Lax

VIP Member
an0nym0us said:
hey genius, his chip has no pins! :eek: wtf?!?!?! how does it work? OMG OMG OMG

and yes i was talking about the HEATSINK
I hope that wasn't directed at me. If it was you might wanna read my comment above a little more. You said heatsink was hard, in which I clerified, it's not. He said processor, thinking that's what you said, which it wasn't.

P.s. Thanks for the spam aschulz90.