software installation question on windows xp

acethrowbot

is it possible to password protect software installation on xp? i want to make it so that software cannot be installed without a password. cause there is a certain 6 year old member of our household who has been installing things when he should not be. can this be done? i have heard that it can be, and i would like to do it without having to download some kind of a little program from the web.

atomic

its simple just set the certain 6y/o up with a limited account. That way he/she can modify the desktop with whatever picture/cartoon etc...they like and you dont have to look at it :). And they cant install software. ;)

Start>settings>control panel>user accounts

acethrowbot

yeh, but we only want to have one user account on the computer, and even when we had more than one, nobody ever remembered to log off anyway. i don't even care if everyone has to enter a password to install things, i just want to be able to do it.

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
OR set yourself up with an admin account and give the rest of the household a limted account, then when youve finished hold down windows key + L and it logs off

acethrowbot

but, like i just said, we only want to have one user account, and even when everyone had their own, nobody remembered to log off or anything anyway. i want a way to restrict ALL installs, even on an admin account, by requiring a password.

lynx6200

Well, i would recommend what elmarcorulz said, just have tow accounts. Use account1 as your main account, for everyone to use, non passworded, but with restrictions (not being aloud to install things). Make a second account, admin account with a password, which would have total control of the computer. Thus, everyone uses account 1, and if you should have the need to install something, use the Admin account.