Sound Card Driver

tonymaclennan

I recently installed XP pro, from home and now my sound card driver needs installing and aint the foggiest where to look.
I thinl its my sound card as when I try loading music in windows media player it says :
"Cannot play back the audio stream; no audio hardware is available or the hardware is not responing"

When I click help, a pop-up window opens saying:
"There is no sound card
You either do not have a sound card installed on your computer or it is not functioning properly. If you do not have a sound card installed, you must install one before you can listen to audio in a digital media file. If you do have a sound card installed, refer to its documentation to troubleshoot the problem.

Error ID = 0x80040256, Remedy ID = 0x00000000"

I have looked on HP website as my speakers are HP and working but no sound is coming out but I had no look finding the driver. I have Astra32 but dont know which section to look at.

if anybody could advice my where to look and what to do i'd be grateful

?????????

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
In Astra32 look at System summary / Sound Summary and post here the Sound chip's name.

tonymaclennan

Thanks I have downlaoded this, and unzipped it.
It contains 2 files: ac97ich4, a system file, but when I open it, it asks what program to open with, any ideas? the second file named 'oem34' opens in wordpad and I dont understand it. ive converted it to a .txt file for anybody to have a look at.

So more advice would be appreciated please

????

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
That's an inf file. Go to Control Panel, run Add new hardware, then click on Have disk and point to the folder where you unzipped those files (rename this file back to inf before that).

tonymaclennan

sorry about this but when I do that, it trys to detect it, after wards it allows me to select from a list, or use the button from disk, when i do this a choose the file it simply dismisses it. It loads like usual but dosnt place it in the list type thing so I cant continue as shown in the attatched image.

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
What's in your device manager? If there's a question mark near that audio device, try to change driver from its properties.