Sound Card for Semi-Professional Recording

Stildawn

Um Ive only got a basic little mixer, I dont really need to use that even, I can go straight from amp to computer for guitars, I only use the mixer for drums etc if Im using multiple mikes (but if I want to do a big effort on drums I use my mates mates huge mixer board plus amp set up with his expensive mikes)

At the moment on my old computer I use Audition 2 I think, however this doesnt work on vista haha (useless lol) so If I get this card Im thinking about making my old machine a dedicated sound machine (as it should run quite well if I only have mimimal os and sound software thats it)

Otherwise if you guys reckon my old computer cant handle it, Im thinking of getting another software for vista, what would you reckonment??? Is Protools the best?? Thats what they used when my band went to the proper studio lol. But isnt Pro Tools for MAC??.

As for the final mixdown, Ive always just done the editing effect in Audition (using the softwares effects etc) and saved to MP3 or WAV.

massahwahl

VIP Member
I run Audition 2.0 on Vista with no problems??? I dont know why it wouldnt work on yours. If you would rather bypass the mixer and go straight to the comp you will need an interface: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/US144 I literally just ordered that one today and they have free next day shipping! I have the older model and it sounds awesome!

Protools is the industry standard as far as professional recording goes, and yes it can be run on windows very well with the right setup.

Even if you use your old computer, it should be able to handle doing this. What are the specs?

By any chance are you using the real version of Audition or a pirated copy? That could be why its not working on Vista. I would contact Adobe though and ask because I had no problem at all getting it to install.

Last edited:

Stildawn

Real version, you got yours working, Ive looked around Forums everywhere and no one has got it working. They say that it just isnt compadable with Vista. lol Odd. (mine installs fine, but comes up with sound device not supported or something like that)

Interface? Ive used direct into my audilogy before from my guitar amp? Isnt the interface thing just needed for the amp? My guitar amp has well in truely enough power to power anything (ive even used it for vocals)

Um the specs are in my sig.. Basically an Old Athlon 32bit 2000+ runs at 1.6ghz. 512 DDR ram, Geforce 4 MX 440. Etc. Nothing spectacular (although was great when i got it haha)

Last edited:

massahwahl

VIP Member
Real version, you got yours working, Ive looked around Forums everywhere and no one has got it working. They say that it just isnt compadable with Vista. lol Odd.

Interface? Ive used direct into my audilogy before from my guitar amp? Isnt the interface thing just needed for the amp? My guitar amp has well in truely enough power to power anything (ive even used it for vocals)

Um the specs are in my sig.. Basically an Old Athlon 32bit 2000+ runs at 1.6ghz. 512 DDR ram, Geforce 4 MX 440. Etc. Nothing spectacular (although was great when i got it haha)

I would bump up the ram up to a gig to be on the safe side, but besides that you should be fine assuming you have enough HDD space to handle large audio files.

I have Adobe Audition Pro 2 and I literally just opened it right up and it has always worked fine. I would try giving them a call and see what they say. They be able to get you a copy of cool edit which is the same thing as audition only adobe changed the name when they bought it out.

An interface is more of a controller for your instruments than a pre-amp or amp. It basically talks to your recording program for you instead of doing it through the inputs on a sound card. I dont know how better to explain it, lol. If you want to stick to using the inputs, then get a PCI-e card like the ones I mentioned. I just prefer using an interface.

Stildawn

The above Interface you reckonmended, is that all you need or that combined with the card??

Would the interface thing be why Ive never had that good of quality in my own recordings? Using straight into the audilogy?

massahwahl

VIP Member
The above Interface you reckonmended, is that all you need or that combined with the card??

Would the interface thing be why Ive never had that good of quality in my own recordings? Using straight into the audilogy?

The interface is all you need yes. You will get much better quality using the interface yes. As mentioned, I use it with Audition and it works really really well. I use some VST effects too and really the sky is the limit.

In your case, use your amp if you want as a pre-amp into the interface and go from there. The interface will control the volume a lot better the amp alone and also handle your latency.

Stildawn

The interface is all you need yes. You will get much better quality using the interface yes. As mentioned, I use it with Audition and it works really really well. I use some VST effects too and really the sky is the limit.

Yeah i just noticed that it uses USB lol. Also does Audition reckonize this Interface (like in the setting etc)

Cool well I might get that, haha now I just have to find out where I can buy it in New Zealand.

massahwahl

VIP Member
Yeah i just noticed that it uses USB lol. Also does Audition reckonize this Interface (like in the setting etc)

Cool well I might get that, haha now I just have to find out where I can buy it in New Zealand.

Yes audtition will recognize it as an input device. You will have to do a few setting adjustments if you have never used one, but overall its very easy.

massahwahl

VIP Member
sweetwater has amazing customer support but I dont know about international shipping. Give em a call is all you can do! lol. Let me know what you find out.

Stildawn

Yeah I just flicked them an email.

Haha it only cost 187 buck NZ from Sweetwater. Well over 400 here in NZ.

nemix

I falied to read the whole post (my phone loads super slow) but if you're still looking the emu 0404 and delta 44/66 would give you good results probably.

not sure if you're international but musiciansfriend.com, audiolines.com, guitarcenter.com, are all good to check out.