Soyo - P4I875P Dragon 2 V1.0 Black Label Edition

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
THat looks pretty decent. It's been awhile since I've seen a Soyo board i could respect (not since the early days of the Athlon). As for potential additional upgrades:
- If you're running a NorthwoodA (i.e., Socket423) then I think you will have to upgrade the chip as they are not compatible with Socket478 architecture (somebody correct me if im wrong)
- Also if you're on a Socket423 mobo and using RDRAM... that's gonna have to go. DDR is here. :)
- Other than that, you should be ready to rock.

:)

Fure6

well, i don't know what socket thing i have or what mother board i have now. I have a Dell Demension 4100...i'll try to find what kind they have while anyone else wants to help. :)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Use CPUz (http://www.cpuid.com) and tell me the "Codename" as it appears on the first tab. Also, the Manufacturer and Model for the Mainboard would be helpful

Last edited:

Fure6

wow, it only took a minute to download with my exremely slow modem.

Name: intel pentium III EB
Code Name: coppermine
Brand ID: 2
Package: socket 370 FC-PGA
Tchnology: 0.18 (symbol)
Specification: Intell pentuim III EB 800MHZ
Family: 6
Model: 8
Stepping 3
Instructions: MMX, SSE

mainboard
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Model: D815EEA (seperater) AAA10383-206
chipset: Intel (seperator) i815/E/EP
Brand: Intel Corp.
Version A04
Date: 08/29/2000

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
1. Youll pretty much have to buy everything anew since the new mobo you have in mind is for Socket478 and you’ve got a Socket370 (not to mention the new mobo is for P4s and you’ve got a P3)

2. I’m guessing you’re running PC66/PC100/PC133 (see the Memory tab) ... you’ll have to upgrade that too ... DDR is virtually ubiquitus now

3. I’ve got exactly the same chip runnin in my P3 next to my tower here ... you can OC that baby QUITE high (all thngs considering) heehee ... and no (serious) cooling required. Got mine running to 1.1Ghz without blinking and no noticeable temperature jump

4. The board you have in mind is based on the i875 chipset -- a VERY impressive chipset -- and HIGHLY overpriced (in most cases) -- I’d hunt down an i865PE -- they are quite litteraly the i875 chips that were classified as “maybe not good enough to be i875” but they were from the exact same bunch of silicon. The i865PE’s can OC damn near to the same limit as i875s -- and much cheaper. Lemme know if you’re interested

Fure6

yep, it's pc133.

So how do you overclock, would you wanna give me (and whoever is as unknowlgable about this) a little lesson in overclocking? i have no idea how to do it...

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Sure.... two considerations before we start:
1. This is a “at your own risk” kinda deal :)
2. Results may and will vary from user to user

That said, let’s yap. Firstly let’s, for the record, note the stock settings (or what should be the stock settings for your chip)
Clock Speed: 800Mhz
FSB: 133Mhz
Multiplier: 6.0x
Interface: Socket370
Core Voltage: 1.65V
Max Core Temp: 80°C

There are two ways of approaching OC.
1, Adjust the Multiplier
2. Adjust the FSB
Note that the FSB x Multiplier = Clock Speed. Furthermore note that the FSB and the rest of your system components (namely the RAM and PCI slots) are related one way or another.... by increasing the FSB you (can) also increase the other speeds.

Increasing the Multiplier
This is the ideal method since, adjusting this value doesnt actually impact anything but the overall speed. SImply go into your BIOS and alter the multiplier.

Increasing the FSB
Your base FSB is 133Mhz. Start by increasing it in 1Mhz increments and see how far you can boot. Note that by increasing this you also increase the speed at which the memory is operating at. Of course you can get into changing FSB:Memory ratios but that gets complicated. Why is this a ‘concern’? Because not all memory can OC to the same limit: just because your system can handle, say, 147Mhz doesnt mean your memory can.

Combination
Sometimes you may find that after you goto your maximum OC via the FSB technique, if you drop off say 5-10Mhz but then increase the multiplier by 0.5 that you end up with a faster, stable system. It’s all about trial and error.

Limits
- Nobody can tell you the limit to which you can OC. It’s a trial and error game. You shouldnt have any problem hitting 900Mhz. I hit ~1130Mhz from mine but that really doesnt matter because even if we have the same models, your limit may be different from my limit.

- Note you may find that sure the system boots at the OCd speed but sometimes it crashes and is generally unstable. Increase the voltages a bit here and there. THat may let you keep your OC and/or keep going

- The more cooling you have the better even thoug P3s dont make much heat

- With the P3-800EB, after roughly 900Mhz you will have to start tweakin the voltages to maintain stability -- soemtimes less for people someimtes more....like i said its trial and error

If You Mess Up
Reset the BIOS by popping the battery and setting the BIOS reset jumper for a few seconds.

That should get you started :)

4W4K3

VIP Member
Praetor said:
It's not that bad really :p

true...once you've done it enough and you memorize your BIOS layout...you can do it in 10 minutes tops (unless your going for a higher overclock than what you previously had...then it takes a lil' more trial and error and testing) everytime power goes out and my computer sets back to defaults i just hop into BIOS...punch around, reset settings and poof...back up to 2.5ghz. not to mention its really fun...for me anyways lol.

Fure6

4W4K3 said:
not to mention its really fun...for me anyways lol.

wow, i can really tell who the fake geeks are and the real geeks... :D

In my parents heads, i have messed with the computer enough. My parents think that whenever somthing goes wrong with the pc that it's my fualt! so i don't wanna kill the computer and have my parents not let me on a nice, new, fast, exiting computer :eek:

4W4K3

VIP Member
Fure6 said:
wow, i can really tell who the fake geeks are and the real geeks... :D

In my parents heads, i have messed with the computer enough. My parents think that whenever somthing goes wrong with the pc that it's my fualt! so i don't wanna kill the computer and have my parents not let me on a nice, new, fast, exiting computer :eek:

i dont get it...

anywyas i dont really get your point. you break your computer and your parents get mad at you...bug deal! unless of course you have no idea how to fix it. ive "broken" my computer dozens of times...but my parents usually stay out of my business. we might be totally different in that area lol. of course i did buy this with my own money too...that also is a factor.

Fure6

yea, this is the "family" computer. when it gets broken this it's "my dad's computer" becuase he paid for it.

usually when it get's 'broken' it's not that big of a deal becuase i normally know how to fix it...and if i don't, then you guys do! :)

4W4K3 said:
i dont get it...

the wanna-be geeks probably wouldn't enjoy doing that crap...never mind, i'm stupid... :eek:

Last edited:

4W4K3

VIP Member
Fure6 said:
yea, this is the "family" computer. when it gets broken this it's "my dad's computer" becuase he paid for it.

usually when it get's 'broken' it's not that big of a deal becuase i normally know how to fix it...and if i don't, then you guys do! :)

oh ok that makes more sense. well maybe you can save enough to get your own machine...its worth it.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
the wanna-be geeks probably wouldn't enjoy doing that crap...never mind, i'm stupid...
LOL ... crap? It's fun. :p

well maybe you can save enough to get your own machine...its worth it.
Oh HELL yeah. Sure you may not be able to afford the same stuff as the kid with the bling-bling computer his parents bought for him (but then again you wont suffer from the honda-civic-syndrome and hopefully know what you're getting :p)