Special hardware needed to install Windows 11

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Are you on the bandwagon to upgrade to windows 11? Hold your horses people. Unfortunately Microsoft has required any system running Windows 11 to have a TPM module installed.

So unless you have an tpm module installed, it won't install or upgrade. And unfortunately, certain motherboards require certain modules. I have 2 Gigabyte motherboards in systems that require certain modules and I can't find them anywhere online. So it looks like i'll be sticking with windows 10 for the foreseeable future.

Is MS requiring too much now in order to install Windows 11? What are your thoughts?

lucasbytegenius

I wonder how widely available Intel and AMD's firmware TPM is. Intel's is called PTT and AMD is fTPM. I have fTPM available according to my BIOS settings.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I wonder how widely available Intel and AMD's firmware TPM is. Intel's is called PTT and AMD is fTPM. I have fTPM available according to my BIOS settings.
Even though I have a separate TPM port on the motheboard, most newer Intel cpu's have it on the die itself I have the 8700K, you just have to enable it in the bios which i did on mine and now it says its compatible with 11. Gf's pc is a Ryzen and it has the FTPM option in the bios too so that one should be good too.

lucasbytegenius

I booted up my PC for the first time in almost 2 months to see if it's compatible with Windows 11. So far, with fTPM enabled in BIOS, it looks like I'm good.

My wife has a Ryzen 1700X, which looks like it's not going to be compatible: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...supported/windows-11-supported-amd-processors
Intel: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...pported/windows-11-supported-intel-processors

Tempted to switch to Pop!_OS and run the games through Proton, been seeing some good results posted online lately.

1624899348875.png1624899359760.png

lucasbytegenius

Does the motherboard support 2000 series processors? You can always upgrade to it if need be.
It does, both hers and mine were originally for 1000 series. If I upgrade her CPU I'll probably wait until Black Friday, unless Microsoft backtracks.

Intel_man

VIP Member
firmware TPM is available on my board BIOS. So I'm good on that one. Will have to check on the older computers around the house to see what's up, but i suspect they're probably too old to have it supported either via CPU or externally.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The problem right now is that if you are gonna end up needing an actual TPM module, scalpers are going crazy with prices.

But even as I've been building computers, there were not many that had a dedicated TPM port. MS making this a requirement is gonna suck for a lot of people, even for them running older cpu's that supposedly won't get the update.

Intel_man

VIP Member
The problem right now is that if you are gonna end up needing an actual TPM module, scalpers are going crazy with prices.

But even as I've been building computers, there were not many that had a dedicated TPM port. MS making this a requirement is gonna suck for a lot of people, even for them running older cpu's that supposedly won't get the update.
Yeah... The biggest problem I've seen is that they're requiring TPM 2.0. If that's true, then a lot of the older computers using something like the Haswell's will not work since the mobos that run those at best support TPM 1.2
I wonder if MS is going to end up extending Windows 10's support life, like they had to do with XP and 7.
I sure hope so. 2025 isn't that far away.